Texas Divorce and Child Support - Life Insurance Obligations

No one wants to think about the tragic loss of a loved one, but if it happens, there are often issues that must be resolved in the following months. If a parent who owes child support dies, there are obligations that remain in place, since the children still need the same amount of help regardless of the unfortunate loss of their parent. The attorneys at The Law Office of Bryan Fagan will explain the life insurance obligations that a child support obligor may have.

Houston Child Support Obligation Attorneys

The attorneys at The Law Office of Bryan Fagan are experienced in resolving child support and family law cases in the greater Houston area, including Harris County and the surrounding counties of Fort Bend, Waller, Montgomery, Grimes, Waller, and Washington. If you have questions regarding the life insurance and other obligations you may have in supporting your child, contact a family law attorney in Houston to schedule a free consultation. We are dedicated to helping you through the difficult processes involved in divorce, child support, and other family law.

The duty to support a child exists until a child reaches the age of 18 or stops attending high school. If the child is disabled before his 18th birthday, this obligation can last even longer than that. This duty exists whether the parent who owes the child support is alive or passes away before the child’s 18th birthday.

What Happens When a Parent Dies?

When the parent who owes child support dies, his child support obligation does not die with him. Instead, it accelerates and is due immediately. The child support payments will become a claim against the deceased parent’s estate.

In some cases, the court may order the parent making child support payments to secure life insurance, to cover the amount of child support that would become due if the parent were to die. The purpose of ordering the parent to buy life insurance is to insure that the child support obligation will be covered, even if the estate does not have enough money to pay the child support claim.

Will the Court Require Me to Buy Life Insurance?

The court will not order a parent to buy life insurance in every case. If you have few assets, or the court has reason to believe that your estate will not have enough money to pay your obligation after you die, then it is more likely it will order you to buy life insurance.

Section 154.016 of the Family Code gives the court the authority to order …”a child support obligor to obtain and maintain a life insurance policy, including a decreasing term life insurance policy, that will establish an insurance-funded trust or an annuity payable to the obligee for the benefit of the child that will satisfy the support obligation under the child support order in the event of the obligor's death.”

Things that a court should consider when deciding whether and how much life insurance to obtain include:

  1. The present value of all monthly payments owed from the date child support payments were ordered to the month the child covered by the obligation turns 18.
  2. The present value of all health and dental insurance premiums required for the child from the date child support was initially ordered until the month he or she turns 18.
  3. Any special considerations that the law takes into account when determining if a disabled child will continue to require support after exceeding 18 years of age.

When mandated by the court to carry this insurance, the obligated parent may be required to produce proof of such coverage upon request.

In either case, our attorneys encourage all parents to buy life insurance to protect their children in the event that something happens to the parent before the child reaches eighteen

Other Articles you may be interested in:

  1. What do I do if I have overpaid child support in Texas?
  2. Child Custody Basics in Texas
  3. Child Support and College Tuition in Texas
  4. Texas Child Support Appeals
  5. In Texas are Child Support and Visitation Connected?
  6. Why Ignoring Child Support Obligations is a Bad Idea in Texas
  7. Texas Child Support – Trust and Annuities
  8. Special Needs Children in Texas Child Support Cases
  9. How to get above guideline child support.

Law Office of Bryan Fagan | Spring, Texas Divorce Lawyers

If you have questions regarding divorce, it's important to speak with one of our Spring Divorce Lawyers right away to protect your rights. Our divorce lawyers in Spring TX are skilled at listening to your goals during this trying process and developing a strategy to meet those goals. Contact Law Office of Bryan Fagan by calling (281) 810-9760 or submit your contact information in our online form. The Law Office of Bryan Fagan handles Divorce cases in Spring, Texas, Cypress, Klein, Humble, Tomball, the FM1960 area, or surrounding areas, including Harris County, Montgomery County, Liberty County, Chambers, Galveston, Brazoria, Fort Bend County and Waller County.


No Comments Posted
  • Frequently Asked Questions

    Our blog features a wealth of knowledge pertaining to some of the most frequently asked family law questions.

    Read More
  • Sign Up For Our Free E-Course

    Click here to sign up for our free E-Course on Divorce! It has been specifically created to help people who are considering divorce and wish to learn more about the divorce process

    Sign Up Now
  • Schedule Your Free Consultation Now

    Schedule a risk-free consultation today and we can assess your case.

    Book Now
  • Meet With a Finance Specialist

    Discuss payment plan options and more with a finance specialist.

    Get Started Now

Contact Us

Law Office of Bryan Fagan
Spring Divorce Attorney
Located at: 3707 Farm to Market 1960 W.,
Suite 400,

Houston, TX 77068
View Map
Phone: (281) 810-9760
Office Hours:
Mon-Fri 8 AM – 6 PM
Saturday- By Appointment Only
© 2017 All Rights Reserved.


The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.