How do I prove the other parent has not paid their court ordered child support?

This article addresses obtaining evidence showing the other parent has not paid their court ordered child support in Harris and Montgomery County in Texas.

Generally, a day does not go by where I do not receive a call from a parent who is upset because the other parent is not helping to financially support their child. If this is a case that involves Court Ordered child support. One remedy is to bring a “motion to enforce by contempt.”

In a nutshell a “motion to enforce by contempt” is a request for help from the Court alleging the other parent has failed to obey an earlier Court Order. If the court finds the parent has violated the Courts Order, The Court may find that parent in contempt.

If this happens somethings a Court may do, include sanctioning the violating parent with money damages, jail, putting the parent on probation, and forcing the violating parent to pay the other parents attorney’s fees.

Once the parent who is not paying child support is served with a “motion to enforce by contempt” the next step is to have a hearing and put on evidence that they have failed to pay child support.

In order to prepare for the hearing one of the steps is to gather evidence of the violating parent’s failure to pay child support. This has gotten easier because more and more courts are requiring child support payments go through the Office of the Attorney General.

If this is the case, then it means the Office of the Attorney General will have a record of all payments that have been made. One of my first steps as an attorney helping my client to bring an enforcement case is to obtain a copy of this record. These records are now available online. If the client is comfortable with computers and the internet they may have already set up an account on the Office of the Attorney Generals website. If they have set up an account, then I ask them to print out or download a copy of the child support record for me. However, if they do not have an account then I will email/fax the Office of Attorney General letting them know I am now attorney of record for my client and after a week or two and I will have access to the records online.

One of my next steps is looking at the child support order and figuring out how much how should have been paid and how often it should have been paid. I then prepare an excel sheet of all the payments that should have been paid along with all the payments that have been made. Once that is done, I have a good tool showing how many times the child support order has been violate that I can present to the Judge.

On the day of the hearing in an enforcement case evidence generally will consist of admitting 1) A copy of the Office of Attorney Generals record of child support payments 2) Some sort of spread sheet showing what was supposed to have been paid and what was paid 3) Testimony from the parent who was supposed to be receiving child support that no other payments were received directly.

Law Office of Bryan Fagan | Spring, TX Child Support Lawyers

Our Spring, TX Child Support enforcement lawyers are skilled at listening to your goals during this trying process and developing a strategy to meet those goals. Contact Law Office of Bryan Fagan by calling (281) 810-9760 or submit your contact information in our online form. Law Office of Bryan Fagan handles Child Support Cases enforcement cases in Spring, TX or surrounding areas, including Harris County, Montgomery County, Washington County, Grimes County, Fort Bend County and Waller County.

Categories: Child Support, Enforcement


No Comments Posted
  • Divorce 101

    Learn the basics of the divorce process with our comprehensive divorce resource center.

    Get Started
  • Child Support 101

    Read more about child support with some of our helpful resources.

    Get Started
  • Custody 101

    Learn more about child custody and how we can help.

    Get Started
  • 2nd Annual Halloween Free Divorce Giveaway

    Enter for your chance to win a FREE divorce!

    Enter Now

Contact Us

Law Office of Bryan Fagan
Spring Divorce Attorney
Located at: 3707 Farm to Market 1960 W.,
Suite 400,

Houston, TX 77068
View Map
Phone: (281) 810-9760
Office Hours:
Mon-Fri 8 AM – 6 PM
Saturday- By Appointment Only
© 2018 All Rights Reserved.


The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.