How to Enforce Your Divorce Decree

Counsel from a Spring Divorce Lawyer

The provisions written in your divorce decree are enforceable by the court. If you or your ex-spouse decide later on that the provisions in the divorce decree are unacceptable, you must petition in the court for a modification. You cannot merely ignore the divorce decree in hopes that it will go away.

Violators of the divorce decree can be put in contempt of court. The violations are often the result of anger or betrayal on the part of the violator. In some cases, the violator hopes that he or she can get revenge on an ex-spouse through his or her actions or can control his or her ex-spouse.

Enforcement Suits in Texas Family Law: An Overview Texas Divorce Property Division Enforcement Enforcement Suits in Texas Family Law, Part Four

Common Divorce Decree Violations

Some of the more common divorce decree violations are:

What to Do when Your Ex-Spouse Has Violated the Divorce Decree

If your ex-spouse has violated the divorce decree, you will need to file a contempt of court motion. At the Law Office of Bryan Fagan, the attorney can help you to file this motion correctly. You will need to ensure that your ex receives the motion and the notice of the date and time of the hearing.

Even if you choose to handle the contempt action yourself, you should at least consult with a lawyer to make sure you are doing it correctly. Your local family law court can also help you identify which papers you need to fill out and walk you through the process to ensure that you fill them out correctly.

In your contempt of court motion, you are required to indicate exactly what part of the divorce decree your ex violated and how he or she violated the decree. You will want to create a complete account of what happened. An attorney can help you create a strong case and get supporting paperwork in order before you go to court.

After listening to the arguments, a judge will determine if your claim is sufficient. If it is, you will be issued a written order detailing the contempt order and how it will be resolved. If your ex does not comply with the requirement to resolve the issue, he or she may be jailed until he or she agrees to comply. Don't hesitate to call a Spring divorce attorney at the Law Office of Bryan Fagan today for more information.

  • Divorce 101

    Learn the basics of the divorce process with our comprehensive divorce resource center.

    Get Started
  • Child Support 101

    Read more about child support with some of our helpful resources.

    Get Started
  • Custody 101

    Learn more about child custody and how we can help.

    Get Started
  • Frequently Asked Questions

    Our blog features a wealth of knowledge pertaining to some of the most frequently asked family law questions.

    Read More

Contact Us

Law Office of Bryan Fagan
Spring Divorce Attorney
Located at: 3707 Farm to Market 1960 W.,
Suite 400,

Houston, TX 77068
View Map
Phone: (281) 810-9760
Office Hours:
Mon-Fri 8 AM – 6 PM
Saturday- By Appointment Only
© 2018 All Rights Reserved.


The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.