Making Divorce Modifications in TX

Hire a Spring Divorce Attorney

Sometimes, the divorce decree you created and filed when you separated from your spouse doesn't pan out like you thought it would. For example, you may have established the child support payments that you would pay out to your ex and the children every single month. Shortly after the divorce, you may lose your job. In this case, you may need to seek a modification to lower your child support dues to you don't go into debt.

You also may be able to modify spousal support due to:

  • Job loss
  • Medical expenses
  • Unexpected costs
  • Pay cut

If you need to move out of state, you may need to modify your child custody or visitation schedule to accommodate for the distance.

How to Modify Your Divorce Decree

Modifying your divorce decree is not a simple task. You cannot simply tell your ex-spouse that you need to make changes in your decree and then implement them accordingly. Instead, you are required to go through the court. Since the court has jurisdiction over your divorce decree and is responsible for enforcing it, they will need to approve or deny your requested modifications.

Providing Proof for a Modification

The courts won't grant a modification simply because you request one. Instead, you will be required to bring a suit and provide evidence of certain facts. You may be required to explain why you need a modification and show what makes this modification beneficial for all parties involved.

Most modifications are the result of changed circumstances. For example, he or she must prove that the circumstances of one or both parents have materially and substantially changed since the time the order was made.

Do you need a divorce modification? Contact the Law Office of Bryan Fagan today to get assistance from a professional Spring divorce attorney.

  • Divorce 101

    Learn the basics of the divorce process with our comprehensive divorce resource center.

    Get Started
  • Child Support 101

    Read more about child support with some of our helpful resources.

    Get Started
  • Custody 101

    Learn more about child custody and how we can help.

    Get Started
  • 2nd Annual Halloween Free Divorce Giveaway

    Enter for your chance to win a FREE divorce!

    Enter Now

Contact Us

Law Office of Bryan Fagan
Spring Divorce Attorney
Located at: 3707 Farm to Market 1960 W.,
Suite 400,

Houston, TX 77068
View Map
Phone: (281) 810-9760
Office Hours:
Mon-Fri 8 AM – 6 PM
Saturday- By Appointment Only
© 2018 All Rights Reserved.


The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.