Government Resources in Spring

Government Resources in Spring, TX

If you are considering a move to Spring, TX after your divorce has completed then you stand to benefit a great deal from being able to gain knowledge and accumulate information about how civil services and government functions. Trying to figure out how to set up your utility payments, register your children for school or even find out more information about property taxes in Harris County, this blog post is designed to help you learn more about those subjects. We hope that the information contained here can provide you with a great starting point to learn the essential information about Spring that can help you ease into a move and life transition after your divorce has come to an end.

Tax Information for Harris County

You may be in a position where you are now in charge of your finances for the first time in many years after your divorce. It would be normal to have questions or to be uncertain about how to get your feet underneath you from a financial standpoint at this stage of your post-divorce life. If you decide to buy a house or need to transfer title to a vehicle then you will need to become familiar with the Harris County Tax Assessor-Collector’s office.

The Harris County Tax Assessor-Collector office that is in charge of collecting county taxes has multiple offices located throughout the county. However, the closest office to Spring is located at 7900 Will Clayton Parkway, Humble, TX 77338. The state of Texas does not assess a state income tax against residents, but you will be responsible for paying property taxes if you own a home or other real estate. In addition, you will need to register your vehicle in Harris County when you move here. Finally, there may be special taxes or permits that you need to investigate based on your circumstances or those of your business.

Postal Service

Updating your address, leaving a forwarding address, or opening a new PO Box in Spring are all parts of the necessary steps of moving and relocating to a new place. Once you have a new address in Spring you should go to your local post office branch in order to fill out a change of address form. Doing so will allow any mail that was still being sent to your former address to be forwarded to your new home in Spring. While this will only occur on a short-term basis, it will help ensure that important paperwork, bills, or other mail are not left at your old mailbox.

There are two post offices in Spring that you should be aware of. The first location is 7717 Louetta Road, Spring, TX 77379. Louetta Road is a major thoroughfare that runs east to west through the heart of Spring. A second post office location that may be of interest to you as a new resident of Spring is 1411 Wunsche Loop, Spring, TX 77373. This post office location is adjacent to Interstate 45 in east Spring.

Updating your Driver’s License

The Texas Depart of Public Safety Driver License Mega-Center is located at 4740 Spring Cypress Road #100, Spring, TX 77379. This is the government agency where you will need to go in order to update your address if you already have a Texas driver’s license or to obtain a Texas Driver’s license is you have recently moved here from outside the state. Having a photo ID (at the very least) is important in order to vote in elections in Texas. It is illegal to operate a motor vehicle without a driver’s license. As a result, this needs to be one of the first places that you visit upon moving to Spring.

Additionally, this DPS office offers additional services such as changing your name on your driver’s license after a divorce, obtaining a Texas identification card, obtain information about registering your vehicle in Harris County or to renew your registration or to obtain a new vehicle title. Keep in mind that many of the services provided at this field office can be conducted online rather than in person. Forms and other paperwork of interest may be downloaded from their website.

Social Security Offices which serve Spring, TX

There are three offices of the Social Security Administration which serve residents of Spring, TX. Local field offices are located at 5414 Aldine Mail Route Road, Houston, TX 77039 as well as 600 Sgt. Ed Holcombe Blvd., Conroe, TX 77304. These field offices of the Social Security Administration are where you can apply to have your name changed on your Social Security card if you were granted a name change in your divorce. You would need to bring a copy of your Final Decree of Divorce with you to the field office in order to complete this step.

It is important to bring documentation with you that proves that you are a citizen of the United States. Next, you would fill out an application at the SSA office in order to change your name on your Social Security card. The process is similar if you lost your Social Security card. You may need a copy of your Social Security card in order to complete the onboarding process at your new employer. You may also need a copy of your Social Security card in order to open up a bank account. As a result, you can complete these important steps at the Social Security office whose address is listed above.

Setting up utilities in Spring, TX

The Houston area provides wastewater and water services through Municipal Utility Districts. You will need to become familiar with the “MUD” that is assigned to the area where you live. Electricity is provided through private companies of which there are a handful in North Harris County including Reliant Energy, Octopus Energy and Discount Power. Finally, trash and recycling services for residential areas are provided by private companies. You should contact your Homeowner’s Association to determine which days of the week recycling and trash services are provided for your neighborhood. If you are renting an apartment, you can contact your business office to find out this information.

Our e-books

Which E-Book would you like to receive?

Our blog

Stay updated with timely & relevant news.

Receive our newsletter

Sign up to receive your monthly copy.

Contact Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC Today!

At the Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC, the firm wants to get to know your case before they commit to work with you. They offer all potential clients a no-obligation, free consultation where you can discuss your case under the client-attorney privilege. This means that everything you say will be kept private and the firm will respectfully advise you at no charge. You can learn more about Texas divorce law and get a good idea of how you want to proceed with your case.

Office Hours

Mon-Fri: 8 AM – 6 PM Saturday: By Appointment Only

"(Required)" indicates required fields