Book an appointment using SetMore

Texas Divorce - Serving Military Personnel or their Spouse Worldwide

As a Houston, Texas divorce lawyer I have had the opportunity to help service members through a military divorce and family law cases. One the things that my clients are often concerned about is getting a service member served with the paperwork.

Acceptance of Service

The easiest way to accomplish the service requirement in a Texas Divorce is if the military member is willing to accept service by signing and returning a waiver of service. This document simply means that he received the divorce papers and is aware you filed for divorce. As long as your spouse is willing to cooperate, this method works well for military families since it allows couples to work through the divorce process while one of them is locate elsewhere even if they are out of the country.

Locating Service Member or Getting a Mailing Address

Responsibility for military personnel records falls within the jurisdiction of the military departments, not the Office of the Secretary of Defense. Therefore, requests for military addresses should be sent to the respective service of the individual whose address is being sought. This process can take up to four weeks.

The following information is needed for all requests for all locator services:

  1. As much identifying information as possible such as full name, last duty assignment, last known military address, service number, and social security number.
  2. The locator service is free to immediate family members and government officials. Others must pay a nominal fee.

32 CFR 720.20 - Service of process upon personnel

CFR Provides that commanding officers may permit service of process of Federal or state court upon members. Factors that will effect that decision include:

  1. In-State process. When a process server from a State or Federal court from the jurisdiction where the naval station is located requests permission to serve process aboard an installation, the command ordinarily should not prevent service of process so long as delivery is made in accordance with reasonable command regulations and is consistent with good order and discipline.
  1. Out-of-State process. In those cases where the process is to be served by authority of a jurisdiction other than that where the command is located, the person named is not required to accept process

Service on a Military Installation

Just because a service member is stationed at, and maybe living on, a military installation in the U.S. does not mean it is not possible for a sheriff or a process-server to accomplish service. Military authorities will make the member available for service of process, assuming he is actually at the base.

Service when Overseas

It is sometimes possible to serve a service member while abroad through registered or certified U.S. mail. In such case this will be done utilizing “APO” and “FPO” addresses. Service by this method can at times be difficult because military postal clerks do not always send back return receipts.

Book an appointment with Law Office of Bryan Fagan using SetMore


Adobe Stock 62844981[2]If you want to know more about what you can do, CLICK the button below to get your FREE E-book: 16 Steps to Help You Plan & Prepare for Your Texas Divorce

Other Articles you may be interested in:

  1. Military Divorces in Texas
  2. Essential Information for Military Divorces in Texas
  3. Military Support Without a Court Order During a Divorce in Texas
  4. How to Divorce a Spouse in the Military
  5. Texas Divorce - Serving Military Personnel or their Spouse Worldwide
  6. Texas Statute Aids Military Personnel and Their Spouses in Filing for Divorce
  7. Roadmap of Basic Divorce Procedure in Texas
  8. How Can I Get My Spouse to Pay My Attorney's Fees in a Texas Divorce?
  9. How am I going to Pay for My Texas Divorce?
  10. Should I Hide Money from my Spouse to Get Ready for my Texas Divorce?

Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC | Texas Military Divorce Lawyer

The Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC routinely handles matters that affect children and families. If you have questions regarding divorce, it's important to speak with ar Texas military Divorce Lawyer right away to protect your rights.

A military divorce lawyer in Spring TX is skilled at listening to your goals during this trying process and developing a strategy to meet those goals. Contact Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC by calling (281) 810-9760 or submit your contact information in our online form. The Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC handles Divorce cases in Spring, Texas, Cypress, Spring, Klein, Humble, Kingwood, Tomball, The Woodlands, Houston, the FM 1960 area, or surrounding areas, including Harris County, Montgomery County, Liberty County, Chambers County, Galveston County, Brazoria County, Fort Bend County and Waller County.

Sign Up Here to Download Our eBook!

Fill out the form below 
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.