Book an appointment using SetMore

Texas Statute Aids Military Personnel and Their Spouses in Filing for Divorce

When a person either serves in the military or is married to a person serving in the military, moving from place to place is a fairly common occurrence. If either spouse is from Texas and would like to file for divorce in Texas, this can cause a problem regarding the residency requirement as stated in the Texas Family Code. Generally speaking, in order to file for divorce in Texas at least one party must have been living in Texas for six months and the county where the suit has been filed for 90 days prior to filing suit. However, the Texas Family Code Section 6.303 provides an exception for these public servants and their spouses. The remainder of this blog explains the details of this statute as well as its effects on divorce cases in Texas.

If Texas is the domicile of a military member or Federal Employee serving outside of Texas, that person is still able to file for divorce in Texas. Domicile means that Texas is considered to be the permanent home the party intends to return to after completion of the service assignment that necessitates their absence from the State. A spouse of a solider or public servant may exercise this same right.

For example, we can consider the circumstances of a hypothetical client named William to bring the aforementioned statute into a real-life scenario. William lived in Montgomery County, Texas and considers it to be his domicile prior to enlisting in the Army. William lived outside of the State of Texas and Montgomery County for years due to military assignments and during that time period met and married a woman named Susan. William and Susan lived overseas in Germany when unfortunately, it became apparent to both persons that the marriage was not working out. In this scenario, William may file for divorce in Montgomery County if that is his desire. His having lived outside of Texas for any length of time does not hinder his ability to file for divorce because his absence was due to his having served in the military.

This statute allows service members or other public servants and their spouses to use Texas Courts in order to petition for divorce without first needing to re-establish residency upon returning to the State.

Book an appointment with Law Office of Bryan Fagan using SetMore


Adobe Stock 62844981[2]If you want to know more about what you can do, CLICK the button below to get your FREE E-book: 16 Steps to Help You Plan & Prepare for Your Texas Divorce

Other Articles you may be interested in:

  1. Military Divorces in Texas
  2. Essential Information for Military Divorces in Texas
  3. Military Support Without a Court Order During a Divorce in Texas
  4. How to Divorce a Spouse in the Military
  5. Texas Divorce - Serving Military Personnel or their Spouse Worldwide
  6. Texas Statute Aids Military Personnel and Their Spouses in Filing for Divorce
  7. Roadmap of Basic Divorce Procedure in Texas
  8. How Can I Get My Spouse to Pay My Attorney's Fees in a Texas Divorce?
  9. How am I going to Pay for My Texas Divorce?
  10. Should I Hide Money from my Spouse to Get Ready for my Texas Divorce?

Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC | Texas Military Divorce Lawyer

The Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC routinely handles matters that affect children and families. If you have questions regarding divorce, it's important to speak with ar Texas military Divorce Lawyer right away to protect your rights.

A military divorce lawyer in Spring TX is skilled at listening to your goals during this trying process and developing a strategy to meet those goals. Contact Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC by calling (281) 810-9760 or submit your contact information in our online form. The Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC handles Divorce cases in Spring, Texas, Cypress, Spring, Klein, Humble, Kingwood, Tomball, The Woodlands, Houston, the FM 1960 area, or surrounding areas, including Harris County, Montgomery County, Liberty County, Chambers County, Galveston County, Brazoria County, Fort Bend County and Waller County.

Sign Up Here to Download Our eBook!

Fill out the form below 
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.