How Can I Get Child Support if My Ex-spouse Lives Outside of Texas?

Attorneys at the Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC handle the delicate subject of child support almost daily. They discuss this matter with both the parent receiving the support and the one ordered to pay it.

The receiving parent often feels the support is insufficient, unable to cover additional monthly costs unaccounted for by the court’s order. Conversely, the paying parent, not necessarily averse to supporting their kid, may have had negative experiences with the process. Their frustration stems from various issues, from job loss and payment delays to disputes over the adequacy of support and its actual use for the kid’s needs.

The Uniform Interstate Family Support Act and its effect on Texas families

Parents owed child support know the challenge of timely and correct payment receipt, even when living close to their ex-spouse. Post-divorce, a Wage Withholding Order typically ensures payment through the owing parent’s employer to the Texas Attorney General (OAG), which then distributes it to the receiving parent.

However, what if the ex-spouse resides outside Texas? Many states don’t follow Texas’s child support calculation based on the obligor’s income. This is where the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA) comes in. It standardizes child support enforcement across all states, ensuring kids receive necessary funds regardless of parental location differences. UIFSA harmonizes the laws of all fifty states, allowing for consistent enforcement nationwide. It tackles multiple orders, enforces out-of-state orders, modifies existing orders, registers an order in a new state, and establishes orders where none exist.

For Texas residents needing to enforce from a non-resident spouse, UIFSA facilitates direct wage garnishment. It also empowers the new home state to pursue collections through court actions, imprisonment, or license suspension. UIFSA can modify orders based on significant changes in circumstances, and if parties reside in Texas, the state must review any modification requests.

Help With Child Support Including UIFSA

Navigating UIFSA can be complex, but experienced family law attorneys at the Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC can help. They understand UIFSA’s intricacies and prioritize handling your child support issues with respect and competence. Contact our office for any family law queries.

Enforcement of Child Support Across State Lines

Texas employs several strategies to enforce child support orders across state lines. Under the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA), Texas can request cooperation from other states to enforce a child support order. This includes wage garnishments, seizure of assets, and other legal actions. Texas courts also have the authority to hold hearings and make orders that other states must recognize and enforce.

The Texas Office of the Attorney General plays a pivotal role in interstate child support cases. This office acts as the chief enforcement authority, aiding in locating non-custodial parents, establishing paternity, and enforcing child support orders across state lines. They collaborate with agencies in other states to ensure compliance and collection of due payments.

Federal Enforcement Measures for Non-Compliant Parents Living Out of State

At the federal level, several measures are in place to deal with non-compliant parents living out of state. Tools like the Federal Parent Locator Service help find parents who owe child support. Additionally, federal laws such as the Deadbeat Parents Punishment Act impose penalties on parents who willfully evade child support payments across state lines.

Navigating Challenges and Delays

Interstate child support cases often encounter specific obstacles. Locating the non-custodial parent can be a significant challenge, especially if they frequently move or work under the table. Jurisdictional issues also arise, complicating the legal process when different states’ laws and procedures apply.

To effectively manage these challenges:

Keep Detailed Records: Document every interaction and attempt to secure child support.
Stay Proactive: Regularly follow up with your legal representative and the enforcing agency.
Utilize Technology: Leverage online portals and communication tools for updates and information sharing.
Seek Legal Counsel: Consult with an attorney who specializes in interstate child support cases for tailored advice.
Exercise Patience: These cases can be lengthy; understanding this helps manage expectations.


Securing child support from an ex-spouse living outside Texas involves navigating a complex web of state and federal laws. By understanding the strategies and resources available, and proactively managing the challenges and delays, you can ensure the financial support essential for your child’s upbringing.

Adobe Stock 62844981[2]If you want to know more about what you can do, CLICK the button below to get your FREE E-book: 16 Steps to Help You Plan & Prepare for Your Texas Divorce

Other Articles you may be interested in:

      Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC | Kingwood Divorce Lawyer

      The Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC routinely handles matters that affect children and families. If you have questions regarding divorce, it’s important to speak with ar Kingwood, TX Divorce Lawyer right away to protect your rights.

      A divorce lawyer in Kingwood TX is skilled at listening to your goals during this trying process and developing a strategy to meet those goals. Contact Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC by calling (281) 810-9760 or submit your contact information in our online form. The Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC handles Divorce cases in Spring, Texas, Cypress, Spring, Klein, Humble, Kingwood, Tomball, The Woodlands, Houston, the FM 1960 area, or surrounding areas, including Harris County, Montgomery County, Liberty County, Chambers County, Galveston County, Brazoria County, Fort Bend County and Waller County.

      Categories: Uncategorized

      Share this article



      Contact Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC Today!

      At the Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC, the firm wants to get to know your case before they commit to work with you. They offer all potential clients a no-obligation, free consultation where you can discuss your case under the client-attorney privilege. This means that everything you say will be kept private and the firm will respectfully advise you at no charge. You can learn more about Texas divorce law and get a good idea of how you want to proceed with your case.

      Plan Your Visit

      Office Hours

      Mon-Fri: 8 AM – 6 PM Saturday: By Appointment Only

      "(Required)" indicates required fields