Book an appointment using SetMore

The benefits of hiring an attorney to represent you in a child support case

If you have been through a difficult divorce, the last thing you probably want to think about is the possibility of having to go back to the family law court to have another aspect of your case re-litigated. One of the more important topics that will bring about strong opinions from you and your ex-spouse is child support.

Suppose that you are the custodial parent of your child. This means that you have the right to determine your child's primary residence and receive child support payments from your ex-spouse. With these rights comes a great deal of responsibility. You not only have physical possession of your child more frequently than does your ex-spouse, but you also pay for more aspects of their life. The child support payment will help, but it is unlikely to cover an entire month's worth of costs.

In the years after your divorce, you may have found that your child's needs have increased the amount that you have to spend on them. It could be that they have experienced a medical issue that requires regular care from an in-home care provider or something similar. It could be that your ex-spouse has experienced a substantial increase in income since your divorce, and their current child support obligation is no longer in line with their income.

Whatever the reason for seeking a child support increase, you need to know the process and procedures of a modification case. Having an experienced family law attorney by your side throughout the process can help in that endeavor. Today's blog post from the Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC, will detail this subject for you if you find yourself in this position.

Private attorney vs. The Attorney General

It is not necessary to hire a private attorney to increase the child support you receive. There are what is known as "IV-D" courts in Texas that exist only to establish child support obligations for noncustodial parents, collect payments from noncustodial parents and enforce the child support orders established in these courts.

For the most part, these IV-D courts are ones in which there are three parties: Custodial parents, Noncustodial parents, and an attorney with the Attorney General's Office (OAG). As a custodial parent, you can contact the OAG to ask them to review your case to see if there is merit in seeking a child support order modification. Based on the information you provide, a modification can be filed in IV-D court, where you can present evidence to increase the child support obligation of your ex-spouse.

Many custodial parents fall into a trap that you could be under the impression that the OAG represents you and will advocate for your rights in court. This is not the case. The OAG represents itself and its interests. Those interests primarily uphold the law of the State that it represents and ensure that your child does not get placed on government assistance programs unless necessary. Your ex-spouse paying child support (and assumedly medical support as well) means that one more minor child will be reliant upon Medicaid and other overly burdened government programs.

Benefits of hiring a private family law attorney for your child support modification case

It is not harmful to go through the OAG court for child support modification purposes. That is what the courts are there for. As I alluded to earlier, most parents, custodial and noncustodial, are not represented by attorneys from my experience in those courts. You do not want representation or cannot afford it; this is an option to look into.

For others, I believe that you will find that the IV-D courts will not help you at the level that a district court with a private attorney would. For starters, the IV-D courts are overburdened with litigants and cannot hear cases with the frequency of a district court. Personal assistance and timely results are not in the cards for you should you choose to go through the IV-D courts.

Your modification case will be handled more efficiently should you hire an experienced family law attorney to represent you in your child support modification case. Your attorney will be able to draft your paperwork for you and file it in district court. A hearing can be set for a few weeks later. While you wait for a hearing, your ex-spouse can receive your modification documents. From there, your attorney and their attorney can negotiate terms to potentially settle your case without the need to appear in court. This saves you time and money in the long run.

If your ex-spouse earns a substantial income where they are not an employee who receives a W-2 tax statement showing their earnings, it can often be challenging to prove to a judge just what exactly they earn. If you have problems in this area, it will be nearly impossible to have a judge grant your modification request. A private family law attorney can assist you in digging up the source of any "hidden" income of your ex-spouse. These bits of detective work can be the difference between having your child's support increased or remaining the same.

Blocking out the noise in a child support case

Everyone has an opinion. Your family and friends are no different. It could be the case that they have been more than happy to share their opinions with you about your family law case and how you can best go about protecting your rights. Some of them may have even been through a similar situation and are now second-guessing your decision-making on whether or not to proceed with a modification case.

No two child support cases are precisely the same, and having a family law attorney to represent you in your child support modification case can be incredibly important in helping you to block out any noise from the outside. Your focus should be on your child and your case. Your attorney can help you to do so.

Family law attorneys have been through situations similar to yours and can guide you for long-term success. Your family members likely don't have the experience or knowledge to give you anything close to good, long-term advice. This isn't a knock against listening to family- it's just that their day jobs are to teach school, work on vehicles or prepare taxes- not represent parents in Texas family law courts.

Help in managing your ex-spouse

Your ex-spouse is probably none too pleased that you are seeking to increase their child support obligation. It could be that they are voicing their opinion that there is no way that you're going to get the child support increase you are seeking. Working with your family law attorney provides a buffer between you and them. Let your attorney do the "dirty" work while focusing on your child. Your attorney will do what is necessary to teach you about the law and how it can be applied in your case. Once you have as much information as possible, you can make decisions that make sense now and in the future for you and your family.

Questions on child support modification cases? Contact the Law Office of Bryan Fagan

The attorneys with the Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC, are just the sort of experienced family law attorneys that you need to handle a tough child support case. We offer free of charge consultations six days a week for people like yourself who have questions about family law issues. Please get in touch with us today to learn more about how we can help you and your family.


Adobe Stock 62844981[2]If you want to know more about what you can do, CLICK the button below to get your FREE E-book: "16 Steps to Help You Plan & Prepare for Your Texas Divorce"

Divorce Wasting Assets[4]If you want to know more about how to prepare, CLICK the button below to get your FREE E-book: "13 Dirty Tricks to Watch Out For in Your Texas Divorce, and How to Counter Them" Today!"

Financial Checklist[3]Get this FREE download about what you need to know before filing for divorce.

Other Articles you may be interested in:

  1. Can I Still get Child Support After the Paying Spouse Dies in Texas?
  2. The effect of a death after your divorce in Texas
  3. Nonmarital Children's Paternity and Death of Alleged Father
  4. Can I Add My Dad's Name to My Birth Certificate If He is Dead?
  5. Texas Child Support Enforcement
  6. Can my Texas Driver's License Be Suspended for Not paying Child Support?
  7. What do I do if I have overpaid child support in Texas?
  8. Child Custody Basics in Texas
  9. Texas Child Support Appeals
  10. In Texas, are Child Support and Visitation Connected?
  11. Why Ignoring Child Support Obligations is a Bad Idea in Texas
  12. Texas Child Support – Trust and Annuities
  13. Special Needs Children in Texas Child Support Cases
  14. How to get above guideline child support.

Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC | Houston, Texas Child Custody Lawyers

The Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC, routinely handles matters that affect children and families. If you have questions regarding child custody, it's essential to speak with one of our Spring, TX Child CustodyLawyers right away to protect your rights.

Our child custody lawyers in Spring, TX, are skilled at listening to your goals during this trying process and developing a strategy to meet those goals. Contact the Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC by calling (281) 810-9760 or submit your contact information in our online form. The Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC, handles Divorce cases in Spring, Texas, Cypress, Klein, Humble, Kingwood, Tomball, The Woodlands, the FM 1960 area, or surrounding areas, including Harris County, Montgomery County, Liberty County, Chambers County, Galveston County, Brazoria County, Fort Bend County, and Waller County.

Sign Up Here to Download Our eBook!

Fill out the form below 
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.