Should a Divorced Parent Sign a Waiver (Release) and Indemnity Agreement to Allow a Child to Participate in Recreational Activities?

Short answer: Should you sign that waiver for your child’s next adventure? Read on to discover the surprising legal implications, parental responsibilities, and alternatives that divorced parents should consider before taking the plunge.

Have you ever found yourself standing at the entrance of an exciting bounce house park or a thrilling trampoline park, ready to unleash your child’s inner adventurer? You grab the pen, ready to sign that innocent-looking piece of paper—the waiver. But pause for a moment. What are you really signing up for? Is it just a harmless formality, or could you unknowingly be diving headfirst into a legal minefield?

Welcome to the world of waivers and indemnity agreements, where the line between fun and legal responsibility blurs. In this article, we’ll uncover the truth behind signing those waivers and explore the intriguing realm of parental rights and responsibilities. Whether you’re a divorced parent navigating the complexities of shared custody or simply a concerned guardian, this guide will equip you with the knowledge you need to make the best decisions for your child’s safety and well-being.

So, should you sign that waiver?

The answer isn’t as simple as a resounding “yes” or “no.” We’ll dive deep into the legal implications of waivers, exploring their enforceability, the specific laws governing them, and even examining fascinating real-life case studies. Along the way, we’ll address the unique challenges divorced parents face when it comes to signing waivers and the potential conflicts that can arise between ex-spouses.

But it doesn’t stop there! We’ll journey into the fascinating world of the child’s best interest. How do courts determine what’s truly in your child’s favor? You’ll discover the factors that judges consider when evaluating the child’s best interest and learn how to navigate this crucial aspect of decision-making.

Feeling overwhelmed by the prospect of signing a waiver? Fear not! We’ll explore alternatives to waivers and indemnity agreements that divorced parents can consider. From alternative dispute resolution methods to obtaining comprehensive insurance coverage, you’ll find a range of options to ensure your child’s safety without compromising their rights.

We’ll provide educational resources specifically tailored for divorced parents to further empower you on this journey. Discover reputable websites, publications, and organizations offering invaluable guidance, helping you navigate the intricate legal landscape confidently and clearly.

And what better way to wrap up our exploration than by delving into captivating real-life case studies? Brace yourself for stories of divorced parents facing the consequences of signing waivers, as we analyze the risks and outcomes they encountered. These gripping tales will shed light on the complexities involved and offer practical insights that will resonate with parents like you.

So, are you ready to navigate the thrilling world of waivers, indemnity agreements, and the legal terrain they encompass? Strap on your adventure boots and let’s embark on a journey of understanding, empowerment, and safeguarding your child’s best interest. Get ready to make informed decisions that protect your child’s safety while preserving their rights. It’s time to demystify the waiver and discover the secret world that lies beyond the signature.

It’s our delight to introduce a guest blogger Paul H. Cannon, a trial attorney, and shareholder at Simmons and Fletcher, P.C. He has been practicing personal injury and product liability law since 1995. He has been certified in personal injury trial law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization since 2005.

Without further adieu, below is Paul H. Cannon discussing Should a Divorced Parent Sign a Waiver (Release) and Indemnity Agreement to Allow a Child to Participate in Recreational Activities.

There are many kinds of recreational activity providers, many of which target catering to kid’s parties as a business model. These include bounce house parks, trampoline parks, exercise and fitness centers, obstacle courses, and Ninja Courses, to name a few. Most of these have one thing in common—you must sign a waiver (release) and indemnity agreement to participate.

If you are underage, your parent must sign a waiver (release) and indemnity agreement. While all parents who sign a waiver and indemnity agreement are potentially giving up their kids’ ability to seek redress if the facility negligently causes their injury effectively, divorced parents face an additional risk that could leave them personally liable for the cost of the judgment and the defense.

What is a Waiver of Liability or Release of Liability?

A waiver of liability a/k/a release of liability is a written agreement not to hold someone responsible for their negligence. If properly drafted, Texas allows people to sign a waiver of liability or release of weakness even before the failure occurs. If an adult marks this document, it is valid for the adult. Kids, however, enjoy a special privilege under the law.

They have the right to void a contract signed on their behalf that is not in their best interest. So, when a parent marks a waiver/release, the child can have it declared void and still sue the negligent tortfeasor when injured. The parent, who has the right to collect the medical bills, can still be barred from collecting the medical bills up to the child’s 18th birthday if the parent signed the same waiver.

What is an Indemnity Agreement?

An indemnity agreement is a contract wherein one party agrees to assume or take on the liability of another party.

The best example of an indemnity agreement is an auto liability insurance policy. It can also be added to a contract between a person participating in a recreational activity and the participant to assume responsibility for the company’s negligence.

Indemnity Agreements and Children’s Claims

Parents are often required to sign both a Release and an indemnity agreement before allowing their child to participate at trampoline parks and other recreational businesses. Again, it is a contract. Thus, a minor can have it declared void as to the minor. The parent, however, is bound by it. So, let’s assume only one parent signed the release.

When the child is injured, that parent cannot get out of the waiver or the indemnity agreement. The other parent can file suit on behalf of the child. However, the company will be able to cross-claim against the signor parent and sue them for the judgment plus their attorney fees. That debt will be community property so both parents will owe it. As a result, the waiver and indemnity agreement deters both parents from bringing a claim.

The Divorced Parent Situation

When the parents are divorced, the effect of the release and indemnity agreement is the same as that of the signing parent. However, as to the non-signing parent, it does not have the same deterring factor.

The non-signing parent is no longer married to the signing parent, so they do not face the community property debt problem. Moreover, because they do not necessarily care if the other parent gets stuck with more debt, they can bring a claim for the child, let the company turn around, and sue the signing parent for whatever judgment and attorney fees they incur.

Signing a Pre-Injury Release and Indemnity Agreement

As you can see from the above, signing a waiver (release) and indemnity agreement have serious consequences that affect a child’s ability to pursue justice when a recreational activity provider negligently injures them.

They are very dangerous to sign regardless of whether you are single, divorced, or married. However, if you are divorced and considering letting your kid participate if it requires the signing of a waiver and indemnity agreement, you are way better off allowing your ex-spouse to be the one who signs the document. At a minimum, you should never be the only parent to sign for your child—make your ex-spouse sign too.

Recreational activities can be a great source of joy and excitement for children and parents. Whether it’s bouncing around at a trampoline park or navigating obstacle courses, these activities often require parents to sign a waiver and indemnity agreement. But what does signing the waiver really mean, and what are the legal implications involved? So, let’s explore the world of waivers and better understand the legal landscape. In this article, we will delve into the enforceability of waivers, parental rights and responsibilities, the child’s best interest, alternatives to waivers, educational resources, real-life case studies, and different types of recreational activities.

Understanding Waivers and Indemnity Agreements

A waiver, also known as a release of liability, is a written agreement that states an individual will not hold someone responsible for their negligence. It’s a document designed to protect recreational activity providers from potential lawsuits in case of injury or harm. When signing a waiver, parents are potentially giving up their child’s ability to seek redress if the facility negligently causes harm.

However, the enforceability of waivers and indemnity agreements can vary depending on the jurisdiction. Exploring the specific laws and regulations governing these agreements in your area is essential. Familiarize yourself with any court precedents or relevant case studies that shed light on how courts interpret and enforce waivers.

Parental Rights and Responsibilities

When it comes to signing waivers and indemnity agreements, it’s crucial to consider the rights and responsibilities of parents. Divorced parents, in particular, face unique challenges and potential conflicts in navigating these agreements. Decision-making can become complex, and legal obligations must be carefully evaluated.

In the context of divorced parents, it becomes even more important to consider the child’s best interest. Courts often consider various factors when determining what is in the child’s best interest. Understanding these factors can provide valuable insights to divorced parents when making decisions about signing waivers and indemnity agreements.

Protecting the Child’s Best Interest

While waivers and indemnity agreements can limit a child’s ability to seek compensation for injuries, there are situations where the child’s best interest may outweigh the potential risks. It’s important to understand how courts evaluate the child’s best interest in these circumstances. Factors such as the child’s age, maturity, and the nature of the activity can play a significant role.

Parents must carefully assess whether signing a waiver truly aligns with their child’s best interest. In some cases, seeking legal advice to understand the implications fully may be advisable. By considering the child’s well-being and safety above all, parents can make more informed decisions when faced with the choice of signing a waiver.

Exploring Alternatives to Waivers and Indemnity Agreements

While waivers and indemnity agreements are commonly used in the recreational activity industry, there are alternative approaches that divorced parents can consider to protect their child’s interests. Alternative dispute resolution methods, such as mediation or arbitration, may provide a less adversarial way to resolve conflicts and seek compensation if necessary.

Obtaining appropriate insurance can offer additional protection for the child and provide peace of mind for both parents. Additionally, parents can explore insurance coverage options specifically tailored for recreational activities. Consulting with insurance professionals and legal experts can help divorced parents navigate the intricacies of insurance coverage in relation to recreational activities.

Education Resources for Divorced Parents

Navigating the legal landscape surrounding waivers and indemnity agreements can be overwhelming, especially for divorced parents. To empower parents with knowledge, providing educational resources and references is crucial. Access to relevant legal websites, publications, and organizations that offer guidance on recreational activities and liability issues can be invaluable.

By seeking information from reputable sources, divorced parents can familiarize themselves with the legalities, understand their rights, and make informed decisions regarding their child’s recreational activities. Remember, the more knowledge parents have, the better equipped they will be to protect their child’s interests.

Real-Life Case Studies: Understanding the Risks and Outcomes

Let’s explore real-life case studies to shed light on the potential risks and outcomes associated with signing waivers and indemnity agreements. These examples will illustrate the complexities involved and provide practical insights into how these agreements can impact divorced parents and their children.

By examining actual cases, we can gain a deeper understanding of the consequences of signing waivers on divorced parents, including the potential financial implications and community property debts. Real-life scenarios help us grasp the real-world implications of these agreements and make more informed decisions when faced with similar situations.

Exploring Different Recreational Activities

While this article has touched upon various recreational activities, expanding the discussion to include a wider range of examples is important. Recreational activities that commonly require waivers and indemnity agreements go beyond trampoline parks and bounce house parks.

Activities such as water parks, sports camps, adventure tours, and many others often necessitate signing waivers to participate. By exploring different types of recreational activities, divorced parents can gain a comprehensive perspective and better understand the nuances involved in signing waivers within specific activity contexts.

Recreational Activity


Trampoline Parks

Bouncing, flipping, and soaring through the air on trampolines in a safe and controlled environment.

Bounce House Parks

Jumping, sliding, and bouncing in colorful inflatable structures, perfect for kids’ parties and playdates.

Water Parks

Slides, wave pools, lazy rivers, and water-based adventures to beat the heat and enjoy aquatic fun.

Sports Camps

Engaging in various sports activities, from soccer to basketball, while receiving specialized coaching and training.

Adventure Tours

Exciting outdoor adventures, such as zip-lining, rock climbing, and hiking, to explore the wonders of nature.

Obstacle Courses

Challenging courses with obstacles like walls, ropes, and monkey bars to test agility, strength, and endurance.

Virtual Reality Centers

Immersive experiences in virtual worlds, with cutting-edge technology creating lifelike environments and adventures.

Gymnastics Centers

Developing flexibility, balance, and coordination through tumbling, gymnastic routines, and apparatus exercises.

Amusement Parks

Thrilling rides, roller coasters, and attractions to provide entertainment and excitement for all ages.

Sports and Recreation Centers

Facilities offering a wide range of activities, including swimming, tennis, indoor sports, and fitness classes.

Conclusion: Unveiling the Hidden Adventure of Waivers

Short answer: So, should you sign that waiver? Only you can decide. But armed with knowledge and empowered by insights, you can confidently navigate the thrilling world of waivers, protecting your child while preserving their rights. Remember, the adventure awaits, and now you hold the key to informed decisions.

As we end our exhilarating exploration into the world of waivers, let’s reflect on the hidden adventure that lies within. We’ve journeyed through the legal implications, parental rights, the child’s best interest, alternatives, educational resources, and captivating real-life stories. Now, you hold the power to unravel the mysteries of waivers and embark on a path that safeguards your child’s safety while preserving their rights.

Picture This

You’re standing at the precipice of a towering water slide, the anticipation building, and your heart racing. In one hand, you have the pen, and in the other, the waiver. The decision lies before you, and it’s yours to make. Should you take the plunge and sign that waiver? Our short answer is this: It’s up to you.

But fear not, intrepid reader! Armed with the knowledge and insights you’ve gained, you are prepared to make an informed decision. We’ve provided the compass to navigate the legal terrain, the key to unlocking parental responsibilities, and the tools to evaluate your child’s best interest. You’re equipped to choose wisely and confidently as you tread the path of adventure.

Imagine the joy on your child’s face as they conquer an obstacle course, their laughter echoing through the air. With alternatives in mind, you can explore paths that offer protection without sacrificing their rights. And with educational resources at your fingertips, you’ll never feel lost or alone on this exciting journey.

Final Words on Signing Waivers

In our final moments together, let’s remember the tales we’ve uncovered—the stories of divorced parents, the risks they faced, and the lessons learned. These stories remind us that we’re not alone in this adventure. We can learn from others, draw inspiration from their triumphs and challenges, and forge our own path to protect our children.

So, fellow adventurer, the choice is yours. Should you sign that waiver? Only you can answer that question. But as you venture forth, know that you hold the key to informed decisions, to protecting your child’s safety, and to preserving their rights. The adventure awaits, and now, you’re equipped for the journey.

With confidence in your step, joy in your heart, and the thrill of the unknown ahead, embrace the hidden adventure that lies within every waiver. Sign with caution, weigh your options, and forge ahead on a path that balances exhilaration and protection. The waiver is just the beginning of a grand adventure, and you, dear reader, are the hero of your child’s story.

So, go forth, explore, and savor every moment. The world of waivers is yours to conquer!

Book an appointment with Law Office of Bryan Fagan using SetMore


Adobe Stock 62844981[2]If you want to know more about what you can do, CLICK the button below to get your FREE E-book: 16 Steps to Help You Plan & Prepare for Your Texas Divorce

Divorce Wasting Assets[4] If you want to know more about how to prepare, CLICK the button below to get your FREE E-book: 13 Dirty Tricks to Watch Out For in Your Texas Divorce, and How to Counter Them” Today!

Other Articles you may be interested in:

  1. Family Law Enforcement Hearings: Agreements to Settle and Trial
  2. Reviewing your case history is crucial to success in an enforcement case
  3. Texas Family Law Court: Enforcement Actions
  4. Preparing for an Enforcement case in Texas
  5. Defending against an Enforcement Action in Texas
  6. Enforcement Suits in Texas Family Law, Part Three
  7. Enforcement Suits in Texas Family Law, Part Two
  8. Enforcement Suits in Texas Family Law: An Overview
  9. Child Support Enforcement Defense – Act Sooner Rather than Later
  10. Can my Texas Driver’s License Be Suspended for Not paying Child Support?
  11. Understanding Texas Child Custody
  12. Child Custody and Education in Texas: Making the Right Choices

Frequently Asked Questions

What does it mean to sign a waiver?

When you sign a waiver, you are essentially agreeing not to hold someone responsible for any harm or injury that may occur during a particular activity or event. It is a legal document that releases the party from liability, indicating that you understand and accept the risks involved.

Why do people sign a waiver?

People sign waivers to acknowledge and assume the risks associated with certain activities or situations. It allows businesses, organizations, or individuals to protect themselves from potential legal claims if an accident or injury occurs. By signing a waiver, individuals accept responsibility for their participation and agree not to hold the party accountable for any harm or damages.

Is it good to sign a waiver?

Whether it is good to sign a waiver depends on various factors, including your comfort level with assuming risks and the nature of the activity involved. Signing a waiver can protect both parties involved, as it establishes a clear understanding of the potential dangers and responsibilities. However, it is essential to carefully read and understand the terms of the waiver before signing to ensure you are making an informed decision.

Is it waver or waiver?

The correct term is “waiver.” A waiver is a legal document or agreement that releases someone from liability or responsibility for potential harm or injury. “Waver” refers to hesitating or showing indecision, which is unrelated to the context of signing a waiver.