Book an appointment using SetMore

Family Law Enforcement Hearings: Agreements to Settle and Trial

Family law cases can be complex and emotionally charged, but in many instances, they are resolved through settlement rather than proceeding to trial. This is particularly true for enforcement cases, where one party accuses the other of violating a court order or ruling. When contempt is sought as a form of punishment, the goal is often to reach a settlement that satisfies both parties involved. In this comprehensive blog post, we will delve into the process of resolving an enforcement case before it reaches trial. We will explore the responsibilities of both the petitioner and the respondent, the importance of providing compelling evidence, and the benefits of reaching a settlement agreement. By understanding the intricacies of enforcement cases, individuals can navigate the legal system more effectively and work towards favorable outcomes.

Resolving an Enforcement Case Before a Trial

Enforcement cases are typically resolved more efficiently and amicably through settlement rather than through a lengthy trial process. Both the petitioner, who initiates the enforcement case, and the respondent, who is accused of violating a court order or ruling, have a vested interest in reaching a resolution without the need for a trial. Let's delve into the process of reaching a settlement in an enforcement case.

Agreeing on Contempt

Suppose you are the petitioner in an enforcement case, and you believe that the respondent should be held in contempt for failing to fulfill their obligations, such as failing to pay child support. In such a situation, the first step towards reaching a settlement is to agree on the amount of child support owed over a specific period, including any accumulated interest.

It's important to note that agreeing to hold the respondent in contempt does not automatically result in incarceration. Instead, it serves as a possibility if the arrearage is not paid within the agreed-upon timeframe. In many cases, respondents are willing to sign a Wage Withholding Order, which allows the court to deduct support payments directly from their paychecks, ensuring compliance.

Settling an enforcement case through agreement is typically more advantageous for both parties compared to proceeding to a contested hearing. By negotiating the terms of repayment, the respondent has an opportunity to devise a payment plan that aligns with their financial circumstances, instead of being subject to a court-imposed plan that may be less manageable.

The Petitioner's Case

If a settlement cannot be reached before trial, the petitioner and the respondent will present their respective cases to the judge. As the petitioner, it is crucial to establish a compelling case by providing evidence to support your claims.

In a child support case, for example, it is insufficient to assert that child support is owed. You must demonstrate specific violations of the court order by presenting exhibits that clearly outline the dates and amounts of payments due, as well as the payments that were actually made. Similarly, if you accuse the respondent of denying visitation, meticulous record-keeping with precise dates, times, and locations will be instrumental in substantiating your claim. Additionally, it is essential to clearly state the relief or punishment you are seeking from the court during the trial, aligning your requests with what your attorney outlined in your motion.

Proving the Respondent's Ability to Pay Child Support

In some instances, it may be necessary to demonstrate that the respondent had the means to pay child support during the periods in question. Depending on the court's requirements, you may need to establish that the respondent had the financial resources to fulfill their support obligations. If the respondent claims an inability to pay, they must assert this in their pleading and provide evidence to support their claim.

As the petitioner, it is your responsibility to present evidence that challenges the respondent's assertion of financial incapacity. This may involve providing information about the respondent's past ability to pay and demonstrating their current ability to meet their obligations. While the judge may not explicitly require this information to find the respondent in violation of the court order, it can influence their determination regarding an appropriate punishment or relief.

The Respondent's Case in an Enforcement Hearing

Once the petitioner has presented their evidence and questioned any witnesses, the respondent will have an opportunity to present their case. In child support enforcement cases, if you, as the petitioner, ever voluntarily relinquished possession of your child to the respondent during periods not specified in the Divorce Decree, the judge may credit the respondent for those periods. This credit can lead to a reduction in the amount of child support arrearages owed, taking into account the time the child spent in the respondent's care.

In response to the accusations, the respondent may argue that they were unable to pay child support, resulting in missed or partial payments. In such cases, they must provide evidence to substantiate their claim of financial hardship. Additionally, the respondent may need to demonstrate that they lack the necessary assets that could be liquidated to fulfill their support obligations. Borrowing money might also be presented as a viable option to address the inability to pay.


In this comprehensive blog post, we have explored the process of resolving an enforcement case before it reaches trial. We emphasized the importance of reaching a settlement agreement, which can be beneficial for both the petitioner and the respondent. By negotiating the terms of repayment, parties can find solutions that align with their financial circumstances. We also highlighted the responsibilities of the petitioner in presenting a compelling case, providing evidence to support their claims of court order violations, and clearly stating the relief sought. Additionally, we discussed the respondent's role in an enforcement hearing, including the opportunity to present their case and address their ability to pay child support.

Navigating the complexities of family law enforcement cases can be challenging, which is why seeking professional legal assistance is essential. The attorneys and staff at the Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC, are well-versed in the intricacies of family law and enforcement matters. If you have questions or require assistance with an enforcement case or any other family law issue, please don't hesitate to contact our office. We offer free consultations, providing an opportunity for one of our licensed family law attorneys to address your concerns. Our firm proudly serves clients across southeast Texas and is committed to guiding you through the legal process, protecting your rights and interests every step of the way.

Book an appointment with Law Office of Bryan Fagan using SetMore

Child Support Ebook

undefined If you want to know more about what you can do, CLICK the button below to get your FREE E-book: “Child Support E-Book”

Other Articles you may be interested in:

  1. Reviewing your case history is crucial to success in an enforcement case
  2. Texas Family Law Court: Enforcement Actions
  3. How much will your child support enforcement case cost?
  4. The Steps of an Enforcement Case in Texas family law court
  5. Preparing for an Enforcement case in Texas
  6. Defending against an Enforcement Action in Texas
  7. Enforcement Suits in Texas Family Law, Part Five
  8. Enforcement Suits in Texas Family Law, Part Two
  9. Enforcement Suits in Texas Family Law: An Overview
  10. Child Support Enforcement Defense - Act Sooner Rather than Later
  11. Can my Texas Driver's License Be Suspended for Not paying Child Support?
  12. A Tale of Two Parents: Enforcing Child Custody Orders in Texas
  13. When does your duty to pay child support end in Texas?
  14. Should a Divorced Parent Sign a Waiver (Release) and Indemnity Agreement to Allow a Child to Participate in Recreational Activities?
  15. What is the average amount of child support per child?
  16. Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act

Fill Out To Watch Now!

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.