Strategies for Handling Enforcement Cases in Texas

The process of enforcing a Final Decree of Divorce in Texas can be complex, especially when your ex-spouse has violated certain terms. This could range from denied visitation to unpaid child support. Despite the detailed nature of a Divorce Decree, violations are not uncommon. Texas law provides the opportunity to file an enforcement action in family law court. Success in these cases hinges on thorough preparation and strategy.

Identifying Your Objectives in an Enforcement Case

Merely being upset with your ex-spouse is not enough to succeed in an enforcement case. Combining your emotions with solid evidence and preparation is essential. Collaborate with your attorney to determine clear objectives. Whether seeking overdue child support or contemplating requesting jail time for your ex-spouse due to significant arrearages, defining your goals is crucial. Meetings with your attorney are vital to review your Divorce Decree and confirm the specifics of the alleged violations.

Exploring Settlement Opportunities Outside Court

Sometimes, misunderstandings or informal agreements can lead to perceived violations. For instance, an ex-spouse might believe they are exempt from child support after a child turns 18, not realizing the support should continue until high school graduation. In such cases, negotiating a repayment schedule outside court can be effective. Understanding the specifics of your order and open communication with your attorney can facilitate these out-of-court settlements.

The Legal Process Post-Filing

Once you hire an attorney, they will take over drafting and filing documents. However, staying informed about the proceedings is important. Your ex-spouse will receive the enforcement motion and a summons for a specific hearing date. They are likely to respond and may hire an attorney. If communication occurs, consider channeling it through your legal representatives, especially if the interaction is contentious.

Possible Resolutions in Enforcement Cases

After your ex-spouse files a response and their attorney becomes involved, it is likely that discussions between both parties’ attorneys will occur. For issues like past-due child support, several outcomes are possible:

1. Contested Hearing Before a Judge: If no agreement is reached, your case might proceed to a contested hearing.

2. Agreement on Repayment: Your ex-spouse may agree to pay the owed child support and attorney’s fees, potentially concluding the enforcement action.