Approaching a CPS case in Texas as a teenaged parent or as a parent who is in jail

Today’s blog post topics from the Law Office of Bryan Fagan are intended for people who have children involved in Child Protective Services (CPS) cases who are either children themselves (teenagers) or are serving time behind bars in prison. In addition to these folks, you may be interested in these topics if you are the grandparent to a child involved in a CPS case. I have worked with the families of many persons serving time in prison who are advocating for them while they cannot do so. Let’s first examine how teenagers should approach their CPS case.

Being a teenaged parent is tough; Being a teenaged parent in a CPS case is tougher.

If you are under the age of 18, you can either be involved in a CPS case as a child, if you have been abused or neglected by someone, or as a parent- if you have a child and have reportedly engaged in abusive or neglectful behavior of that child. In some situations, you may even find yourself involved in a CPS case as both the victim as a parent who is being investigated.

Just because you are a teenager does not mean that you owe your child a lesser amount of care. Texas law applies equally to parents across the board- your income level, age, socio-economic class, race, gender, etc. have no bearing on this discussion. If a person calls CPS and makes a report against you regarding allegedly abusing or neglecting your child, then there is a chance that your parental rights could be terminated. Therefore, you must understand your rights and know-how to protect them as best as you can.

Being a teenager, you are eligible to receive special assistance from CPS. If you need help to finish high school, you may be able to ask for and receive assistance from the state in caring for your child while you attend classes. Another example of extra care that you can receive as a teenager would help directly from CPS in helping you navigate your life after you have completed your Service Plan. Basic life steps such as opening a bank account, getting your driver’s license, or finding child care for your son/daughter can be received with CPS’s assistance.

How to handle a CPS case as an incarcerated parent

It typically does not matter if you are incarcerated or not- your parental rights are the same as any other parent in Texas. However, the reality of the situation is that because you are behind bars, you cannot take part in all the activities of your child’s life as you otherwise would be able to. With that said, you are still legally entitled to receiving information about your CPS case.

Court hearings, information about where and with whom your child is residing, and any available services, while you are incarcerated are examples of things that you have a right to take advantage of and be aware of while your CPS case is ongoing. If you have relatives that are fit to care for your child while he or she is involved in the CPS case, you have a right to share those persons’ names with your CPS caseworker. Finally, you should be able to request the names and phone numbers of your CPS caseworker and their supervisor. These people will be your points of contact, moving forward in your CPS case.

Depending on the facility’s location where you are staying, your child’s caseworker may be able to come by and meet with you in person to discuss the case. A major factor will be if your child lives close to where your facility is. Otherwise, you will likely receive the majority of updates about their case in the mail.

Does CPS have a right to take your child into their care just because you are in jail?

You need to be able to care for and supervise your child to keep him or her safe. There is no exception to this law if you are in prison. A court can terminate your parental rights if it is determined that your incarceration leaves your child without appropriate supervision or if the home your child is living in is not safe. Therefore, your incarceration alone can be grounds for terminating your parental rights due to neglect.

How to help out in your CPS case

It is not a good idea to believe that you cannot assist in your child’s CPS case because you are serving a prison sentence. You should make a list of every person in your life who is willing to care for your child if he or she needs to be removed from their current home. Your lawyer can provide this list to CPS. If you do not have a lawyer, that information should be provided directly to a CPS caseworker. If you do not provide this list to CPS, then the odds that your child will need to reside in foster care for the CPS case’s duration increases.

Depending on your circumstances, you may be able to participate in the classes and programs offered to parents in your child’s case. Parenting courses, drug/alcohol treatment, job training, counseling sessions, and things of this nature are commonly offered to parents involved in CPS cases. If you can leave the prison for short periods, these programs will be available to you.

It is your responsibility to stay up to date with your child and their case. Any letters that are sent to you by CPS need to be read. If you cannot understand them, you should ask someone at the prison or a family member to explain to you their purpose. If you send out documents to CPS, you should keep copies for yourself. Finally, keep a calendar with important dates in the case for future reference.

The effect of your criminal charges on your CPS case

If you are in prison or jail for charges related to the report that CPS received involving your child, you will need to speak to your attorney about how those criminal charges can affect your CPS case. Keep in mind that the services you participate in with CPS and the things you tell CPS may be admissible in a criminal court. It is very likely, also, that the attorney for CPS will have spoken to the prosecuting attorney in your criminal case, and they will have exchanged information and perspective about each case with one another.

How often (if at all) will you be able to see your child during the case?

CPS will likely be in a position where they will be entrusted with your child’s well-being during the CPS case. That person will play the central role in determining how many contacts you will have with your child. It could be that the reason you find yourself in prison is that you abused your child. In circumstances like those, it is less likely that you will be allowed to contact your child due to the recent history of physical harm you caused your child. However, your being in prison or jail is not sufficient to cause in and of itself to keep you from seeing your child.

If you can see your child, you will be able to take advantage of a few options when seeing him or her. You may be able to see your child in person, but this largely depends on the facility’s rules where you are incarcerated. Writing letters, talking on the phone, or sharing a video chat session are other options that may be available to you if the CPS caseworker allows it.

To increase the chances of your being awarded visitation with your child, you can take advantage of parenting courses made available to you due to your involvement with CPS. These courses are intended to improve your parenting skills and focus on conflict management and things of that nature.

Classes are oftentimes held during the week, and you are required to remain on good behavior for the duration of your case and incarceration. You can talk to the people in your facility about what other programs may be available to help you.

What ability will you have to attend court hearings in your CPS case?

This is the question that I receive the most from relatives of persons who are incarcerated. Obviously, your ability to make it to court daily is not as strong as a person who is not incarcerated. Your ability to attend these hearings will depend in large part on what Texas county you reside in. In some counties, a judge can issue a warrant that allows you to be taken from jail/prison to the courthouse for a hearing. If you have an attorney, you need to let him or her know if you want to attend the hearing. My suggestion would be that you should try to attend court as frequently as possible.

What happens if there is domestic violence in the home?

Your children can be removed from your home by CPS, even if they have not been physically harmed by domestic violence. Domestic violence is a safety concern. Suppose you have unfortunately been put into a position where you have been the victim of domestic violence. You are not in a position to protect your children when you are being abused. In addition to actual physical abuse, your children are at an increased risk of suffering emotional abuse if they have witnessed domestic violence occur. I have seen some children attempt to help or protect a parent from harm, and they are harmed as a result of interceding in that way.

It is a sad position to be in, but if you choose not to leave your abusive partner, your parental rights can be terminated. That person needs to be removed from your home. If you fail to take steps to remove that person from your home, it could be seen by CPS as an indication that you are not willing to take the steps necessary to protect your children from harm.

If you seek refuge in a domestic violence shelter, it is not certain that CPS will become involved in your life. CPS will only become involved with your family if a report is issued that alleges abuse or neglect in your child’s life. Seeking shelter outside of your home and in a safe place is a responsible decision.

Were CPS to become involved in your life after you sought shelter in a domestic violence facility, CPS will not disclose your location to your spouse or partner. If you are worried that your abusive spouse will become aware of where you live, you should speak to CPS about that.

What can happen if you are not able to care for your child?

In tomorrow’s blog post from the Law Office of Bryan Fagan, we will discuss what can happen if you find yourself in circumstances where you cannot care for your child. In the meantime, if you have any questions about the material that we covered today, please do not hesitate to contact the Law Office of Bryan Fagan. Our licensed family law attorneys offer free of charge consultations six days a week. These consultations are a great opportunity to ask questions and receive feedback on your circumstances. We take a great deal of pride in serving our community and appreciate the time you shared with us today.

Book an appointment with Law Office of Bryan Fagan using SetMore


undefined If you want to know more about what you can do, CLICK the button below to get your FREE E-book: Child Protective Services E-Book

Other Articles you may be interested in:

  1. What to Do When CPS Asks for a Drug Test in Texas
  2. CPS and how The Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC can help
  3. Take control of your child’s CPS case by following these tips
  4. How to stand up for yourself during a Texas CPS case
  5. How to prevent a second CPS investigation after your first concludes
  6. Family Law Cases in Texas: The final stages of a CPS case
  7. When can CPS remove your child from your home in Texas and what can you do about it?
  8. What to do if you no longer like your CPS service plan?
  9. In what circumstances could your child end up living with your relative during a CPS case?
  10. What can a CPS investigation into your family mean now and in the future?
  11. What to do if your spouse is being investigated by CPS in Texas for abuse or neglect of your child?
  12. Can CPS photograph your house and request your child’s medical records in Texas?

Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC | Houston, Texas CPS Defense Lawyers

The Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC routinely handles matters that affect children and families. If you have questions regarding CPS, it’s important to speak with one of our Houston, TX CPS defense Lawyers right away to protect your rights.

Our CPS defense lawyers in Houston TX are skilled at listening to your goals during this trying process and developing a strategy to meet those goals. Contact Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC by calling (281) 810-9760 or submit your contact information in our online form. The Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC handles CPS defense cases in Houston, Texas, Cypress, Klein, Humble, Kingwood, Tomball, The Woodlands, the FM 1960 area, or surrounding areas, including Harris County, Montgomery County, Liberty County, Chambers County, Galveston County, Brazoria County, Fort Bend County and Waller County

Share this article