Book an appointment using SetMore

What’s The Difference Between a Divorce And an Annulment?

Understanding the difference between a divorce and an annulment is essential if you consider separating from your spouse. To divorce legally, your marriage must be valid. A divorce will handle all divorce-related issues decided by the court, such as the division of community property, child custody and support, and other financial matters.

On the other hand, an annulment is a declaration that the marriage was never valid in the first place. It will void out the marriage, treating it like it never existed. Many people are under the impression that if you have been married less than a year, you can annul your marriage. However, the length of your marriage is not a ground to annul the marriage, and there are specific grounds for asking the court to grant your annulment that must exist.

To file for an annulment, you must be eligible for one of many marriages considered void or voidable. Void marriages are illegal marriages, to begin with, and were never recognized by Texas. Examples of void marriages can include marriage between close family members. In Texas, it is illegal to be married to a close relative. Examples of close relative relationships include brother and sister, aunt and nephew, uncle and niece, and ancestor and descendant. In a brother and sister relationship, this can apply to relationships where brother and sister are related by whole blood, half-blood, and even adoption.

Annulments for marriages between parties where one spouse is between 16-17 might be eligible if the minor did not receive parental consent before the marriage. Any party to a marriage where one spouse is under the age of 16 is void and will not need an annulment since the marriage was not valid or recognized in the first place in the state of Texas. A parent or legal guardian can file for the annulment, but it must be done before the minor party turns 18.

One might also be eligible for an annulment if your marriage occurred within 30 days of a spouse's previous divorce. You must prove that your spouse concealed the divorce and that you had no knowledge about the spouse's previous marriage or divorce. It is a requirement that the divorce has occurred within 30 days before the current marriage. Also, an annulment action must be brought before the first anniversary of your marriage, and you must show that you have not lived with your spouse since finding out about the prior marriage or divorce. Likewise, if you marry someone already married to a third party, you can file to annul your marriage.

Lastly, your marriage will become a voidable marriage if you get married within 72 hours after obtaining your marriage license. If you are filing for an annulment, it must be done within 30 days after your marriage.

Voidable marriages are legal but are marriages that either one or both spouses have entered under conditions that the spouse wouldn't have reasonably agreed to. Texas still recognizes Voidable marriages until the marriage is annulled, where it is no longer valid. Some examples of voidable marriage include marriage under intoxication, deception, or compulsion.

If a spouse has used force, duress, or fraud to induce the marriage, you are eligible for an annulment. It would help if you did not live with your spouse once you become aware of the fraud or after the force or coercion has ended.

If one spouse is not mentally competent to enter a marriage, this is another ground for annulment. There are many examples of people marrying under the influence of alcohol or drugs, making them unable to consent to a marriage. You must prove that you were mentally incapacitated at the time of the marriage and that you had not lived with your spouse when you gained the ability to recognize and consent to the marriage. If you are requesting an annulment based on your spouse's mental incapacity, you will need to prove that you were unaware of the mental incapacity at the time of the marriage.

Other grounds for a voidable marriage are impotence, such as erectile dysfunction. If either spouse concealed that they were impotent at marriage, the other spouse must present evidence to prove they hid to be granted an annulment. It is almost on the spouse seeking the annulment to prove they were unaware of their spouse's impotence at the time of marriage and that you have not lived with your spouse since becoming aware of the impotence.

Similar to a divorce, a state must have jurisdiction over the annulment, and you can file for an annulment in the state of Texas if one or both spouses are domiciled in the state, or they were married in the state. In Texas, divorces are subject to divorce venue statutes that declare what courts and where a divorce may be heard. However, those statutes do not apply to annulments, but you will most likely be limited to a court where a divorce case can be decided. You are also available to file your annulment in the county in Texas, but most people will file in a county that is most convenient for them to travel to.

If there are children involved in the annulment, a separate action called a Suit Affecting the Parent-Child Relationship (SAPCR) will need to be filed in addition to the annulment. Through the SAPCR proceeding, all issues concerning the children will be decided. Also, an annulment doesn't give an option for spousal maintenance since it treats the marriage as if it never existed and does not deal in the division of property, assets, and debts. All property and debts will generally go back to the party who owned them before the marriage.

In a divorce, there is a 60-day required waiting period for your divorce to be finalized, but in an annulment, there is no mandatory waiting period. However, you will have to factor in that it won't be done right away because it will need to be scheduled in court to go before the judge. Depending on the court's schedule, this could take anywhere from weeks to months. In an annulment

Knowing the statutory grounds for an annulment will give you insight into whether your marriage is eligible for an annulment. It is also essential to know just what will be covered within the divorce proceeding since anything about children will be a separate cause of action. Lastly, if you do not qualify for an annulment under one of these grounds, you will still be able to file for a regular divorce or attempt to declare your marriage void.

Book an appointment with Law Office of Bryan Fagan using SetMore


Adobe Stock 62844981[2]If you want to know more about what you can do, CLICK the button below to get your FREE E-book: "16 Steps to Help You Plan & Prepare for Your Texas Divorce"

Other Articles you may be interested in:

  1. How Can I Get My Spouse to Pay My Attorney's Fees in a Texas Divorce?
  2. How am I going to Pay for My Texas Divorce?
  3. Should I Hide Money from my Spouse to Get Ready for my Texas Divorce?
  4. 7 Important Ways to Financially Prepare for Your Texas Divorce
  5. 6 Tips - On How to prepare for a Texas Divorce
  6. What are the Steps of a Contested Texas Divorce, and How can I Prepare for Them?
  7. Can I get child support while my Texas divorce is pending?
  8. 6 Mistakes that can Destroy Your Texas Divorce Case
  9. Six things You Need to Know Before You File for Divorce in Texas

Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC | Spring Divorce Lawyers

The Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC, routinely handles matters that affect children and families. If you have questions regarding divorce, it's essential to speak with one of our Spring, TX Divorce Lawyers right away to protect your rights.

Our divorce lawyers in Spring, TX, are skilled at listening to your goals during this trying process and developing a strategy to meet those goals. Contact the Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC by calling (281) 810-9760 or submit your contact information in our online form. The Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC, handles Divorce cases in Spring, Texas, Cypress, Spring, Klein, Humble, Kingwood, Tomball, The Woodlands, the FM 1960 area, or surrounding areas, including Harris County, Montgomery County, Liberty County, Chambers County, Galveston County, Brazoria County, Fort Bend County, and Waller County.

Sign Up Here to Download Our eBook!

Fill out the form below 
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.