Book an appointment using SetMore

How to Protect Yourself or Your Client from Denial of Judicial Recognition of Obergefell Retroactivity in Common Law Marriage

If you haven’t already read my blog post on Obergefell retroactivity, I would go back and look at it from yesterday.

Fret not; these cases are sporadic. You must be in a gay relationship, which predated June 26, 2015, and has not gotten married, seeking a divorce, or someone has passed away. If you do, however, find yourself in this precarious situation, consider the following:

  1. Get Married

This is the most simple and obvious answer. If you are married, then common law marriage is never an issue for you, and you don’t have to worry about the issue entirely.

  1. Venue is Key

If you are not a resident of any common law marriage states, consider moving to one that recognizes common law marriage. Texas and Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Montana, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, Utah, and the District of Columbia recognize common law marriage. Becoming a resident of these jurisdictions differs from one state to another, but living in a state for three months is a good rule of thumb. Make sure you get a driver's license from your new state.

  1. Civil Procedure is Everything

Make sure your Jury Charges are airtight. See the Texas case Hinojosa v. Lafredo , No. 05-18-01543-CV (Tex. App. Jun.2, 2021).

If you lose, file a writ of Habeus Corpus in Federal court for a Due Process claim.

Written By: Jacob Scholl

Book an appointment with Law Office of Bryan Fagan using SetMore


Adobe Stock 62844981[2]If you want to know more about what you can do, CLICK the button below to get your FREE E-book: 16 Steps to Help You Plan & Prepare for Your Texas Divorce

Other Articles you may be interested in:

  1. Roadmap of Basic Divorce Procedure in Texas
  2. How Can I Get My Spouse to Pay My Attorney's Fees in a Texas Divorce?
  3. How am I going to Pay for My Texas Divorce?
  4. Should I Hide Money from my Spouse to Get Ready for my Texas Divorce?
  5. 7 Important Ways to Financially Prepare for Your Texas Divorce
  6. 6 Tips - On How to prepare for a Texas Divorce
  7. What are the Steps of a Contested Texas Divorce, and How can I Prepare for Them?
  8. Can I get child support while my Texas divorce is pending?
  9. 6 Mistakes that can Destroy Your Texas Divorce Case
  10. 6 things You Need to Know Before You File for Divorce in Texas

Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC | Spring Divorce Lawyers

The Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC routinely handles matters that affect children and families. If you have questions regarding divorce, it's important to speak with one of our Spring, TX Divorce Lawyers right away to protect your rights.

Our divorce lawyers in Spring TX are skilled at listening to your goals during this trying process and developing a strategy to meet those goals. Contact Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC by calling (281) 810-9760 or submit your contact information in our online form. The Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC handles Divorce cases in Spring, Texas, Cypress, Spring, Klein, Humble, Kingwood, Tomball, The Woodlands, the FM 1960 area, or surrounding areas, including Harris County, Montgomery County, Liberty County, Chambers County, Galveston County, Brazoria County, Fort Bend County and Waller County.

Sign Up Here to Download Our eBook!

Fill out the form below 
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.