Book an appointment using SetMore

Will you qualify for a free attorney in your Texas CPS case?

If you are beginning a court battle where your relationship with your child, and your ability to participate in the decision-making portion of their lives was at stake I am willing to bet that you would like to feel prepared to assert your rights and advocate for yourself. Can you imagine what it would be like to sit in a courtroom (that you have never been in before), with a lot of people in suits (whom you have never met), waiting to have a scary looking judge call your child's name so a hearing can begin? Would you be prepared to stand up, walk to the front of that courtroom and defend yourself against the accusations and allegations of a CPS attorney?

Most people, even educated and successful people, would likely have to answer that question with a "no" if they were being honest. There is no shame in that. I may be able to answer "yes" to the question that I just posted, but if you asked me to change the oil on my car, I would have to look to someone else for help. Would I like to be able to change the oil of my car? Sure. But the fact is that I can’t. I would need some help to do so successfully.

If you believe that you would need help defending yourself in a CPS case or are currently facing a CPS case where it is becoming quickly evident that you need help then the attorneys with the Law Office of Bryan Fagan are here to help you. In today's blog post we will pick up where we left off yesterday, discussing the ins and outs of finding a good representation for your CPS case.

Let’s begin by discussing an option that may be available to you, namely having an attorney appointed to your case, free of charge, due to your being indigent.

In what situations could you qualify to have an attorney appointed to your case?

There are three requirements that you must be able to meet before you can have an attorney appointed to represent you in a CPS case

First, you must be indigent. This is a fancy word for having a low income and not being able to afford to hire an attorney. Different courts may use different tests to determine whether or not you are indigent. A good rule of thumb to go by is if you are receiving government assistance via food stamps, Medicaid or government housing then you will likely meet the requirement for being indigent.

The law in Texas does not specifically spell out how you can or cannot be determined to be indigent. Some courts in southeast Texas will ask you to fill out some paperwork where you will write down much money you earn in your job on a monthly basis. Expenses like rent, utilities, daycare and the like will need to be examined as well to determine how much income you have left over after your monthly expenses are attended to.

No matter if you think you will meet this requirement or not, you should fill out this form. The upside is that you could have a lawyer appointed to you at no cost. There is no downside for at least asking and showing the judge what your financial situation looks like.

Next, CPS must have already filed a lawsuit in your child’s case. A lawsuit is a formal legal case against you, wherein they are asking to continue to be named as temporary caretakers for your child. The end goal of their lawsuit may be to terminate your parental rights and have a relative, foster family or other person be named the permanent caretaker of your child. Before a lawsuit is filed you will not be able to ask a court to have an attorney appointed to represent you.

Finally, you must respond to the petition that is filed by CPS that initiates the lawsuit. You have to make yourself available to the court by attending the initial hearing, making it known that you will oppose the CPS case and then request to have an attorney appointed to represent you. If you choose to sit the case out on your couch then not only will you not be able to have an attorney appointed to represent you, but you will likely have your parental rights terminated sooner rather than later.

After you request a lawyer, how quickly can one be appointed to represent you?

If you meet all of the above requirements for having an attorney appointed to represent you in your CPS case the next question you will likely want to be answered is how quickly can an attorney be appointed to your case? The answer to that question depends upon where your case is being heard. Many judges will assume that because you are present in their courtroom and because you are indigent that you automatically oppose CPS removing your child from your home. It can happen that the judge will automatically contact an attorney to have him or she represent you in the CPS case, in which case, you may receive a call from an attorney before you ever see the inside of a courtroom.

Most judges, however, will wait for you to attend your first hearing in order to appoint an attorney to represent you. That judge will then run through the above requirements with you to ensure that you meet the requirements of having an attorney appointed to represent you. An initial hearing in your child’s case will take place at the most fourteen days after your child has been removed from your home. It is at that point that you can request an attorney to represent you and the court will start the above analysis.

Once you actually have an attorney’s name who has been appointed to represent you it will vary on how long it takes that lawyer to contact you. It should not be longer than a few days after the hearing date where the judge appoints the attorney until he or she reaches out to you with a phone call. If you do not hear from the lawyer, you should contact the court and ask them for contact information for the lawyer. The judge’s clerk should also reach out to the attorney and ask him or her to make contact with you.

How should you handle a situation where the court takes a long time to appoint you an attorney?

The law in Texas says that you are entitled to have an attorney represent you if you cannot afford to hire one yourself and that CPS lawsuit is seeking to terminate your parental rights. However, keep in mind that the law does not say exactly how quickly a judge must go through the process of having an attorney appointed to represent you.

Most judges will appoint an attorney as quickly as possible if you meet the above requirements. Other judges will wait until the later stages of the case. You do not have many options to contest your judge if she decides to wait. All you can really do is ask for an attorney every opportunity that you get.

What should you tell your lawyer about your case and life?

There are probably a lot of aspects to your life that you would like to keep private. This is especially true when you are involved in a CPS case. It's not like CPS has filed a lawsuit against you so that they can name you Parent of the Year. There are allegations being made that you have either abused or neglected one of your children. Just the thought of it is enough to make you want to curl up into a ball and never let anyone else know about what has happened that caused the allegation(s) to be made.

The problem with that feeling is that you need to work against the urge to keep everything private in your life. You may be a proud, independent person who has basically taken care of yourself for a long time. Even though there are times where you have felt overwhelmed by the responsibility of parenting your child you have done everything you could to care for him or her. Having to rely on another person, like a lawyer, to help you can be a difficult pill to swallow.

It is your lawyer’s job to ask you questions about you, your child and your family. They are not being nosy or rude or anything of the sort when they ask you questions like that. Your lawyer has likely handled cases like yours before and has seen people who are worse off, believe it or not. Depending on how comfortable you feel with your attorney, it may feel like he or she is stepping over the line as far as what is being asked of you. Should you answer questions that you do not want to?

The bottom line is that, while you do not have to answer any questions you do not want to, it is in your best interests to do so. The reason is that the more information your attorney has, the better he can advise you when it comes to decision making in your case. Secondly, remember that what you tell your lawyer will remain confidential unless you allow your attorney to disclose the information.

The more information you provide to your attorney, the better off you will be (generally speaking). If what you are telling your attorney has to do with your CPS case then it is likely that the information will come to light anyways. Remember- in a hearing or trial you can be questioned as a witness under oath. In that situation, you must tell the truth or risk suffering the consequences of having lied under oath.

One of the best comparisons I can make in this situation is to ask you to think about when you were a kid. If you did something wrong, it may have been your first instinct to try to cover that wrong up until you can figure out a way to make that wrong go away. Odds are if you went that route you put a lot of time and effort into the cover-up, only to have made the situation worse. On top of all that, the bad deed that you did came to light anyways.

Compare that to your attorney-client relationship. If you can tell your attorney about the thing that you are embarrassed about then chances are your attorney will be able to help you think of a way to make that situation appear a whole lot better than it actually is. One of the worst things you can do is try to hide something from your lawyer. If your lawyer doesn’t know about a situation then he cannot help you prepare for its consequences. I can tell you from experience that it is a helpless feeling to learn about a fact of your client’s life while he or she is being questioned by an opposing attorney. Be honest with your attorney and your life will be better off for having been so.

Book an appointment with Law Office of Bryan Fagan using SetMore


If you want to know more about what you can do, CLICK the button below to get your FREE E-book: 16 Steps to Help You Plan & Prepare for Your Texas Divorce

 If you want to know more about how to prepare, CLICK the button below to get your FREE E-book: 13 Dirty Tricks to Watch Out For in Your Texas Divorce, and How to Counter Them" Today!

Other Articles you may be interested in:

  1. CPS and how The Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC can help
  2. Child Custody Basics in Texas
  3. Texas Child Visitation Modification
  4. 10 Quick Tips About Parental Visitation
  5. Texas Parental Visitation – Texas Standard Possession Orders in Harris and Montgomery County, Texas – Part 1
  6. Supervised Visitation in a Texas Divorce: Can it happen to me?
  7. Texas Parental Relocation
  8. Geographic Restrictions in Child Visitation Orders in Texas

Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC | Houston, Texas CPS defense Lawyers

The Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC routinely handles matters that affect children and families. If you have questions regarding CPS, it's important to speak with one of our Houston, TX CPS defense Lawyers right away to protect your rights.

Our CPS defense lawyers in Houston TX are skilled at listening to your goals during this trying process and developing a strategy to meet those goals. Contact Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC by calling (281) 810-9760 or submit your contact information in our online form. The Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC handles CPS defense cases in Houston, Texas, Cypress, Klein, Humble, KingwoodTomballThe Woodlands, the FM 1960 area, or surrounding areas, including Harris CountyMontgomery CountyLiberty County, Chambers CountyGalveston CountyBrazoria CountyFort Bend County and Waller County.


Let's Get Started Together

Fill out the form below to receive your E-book
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.