Book an appointment using SetMore

Visitation Enforcement

Family Law Attorney in Houston, Texas – (281) 810-9760

Visitation agreements created during or after a divorce are an incredibly important tool to help families feel like they are still together to some extent. Children in particular benefit from regular visitation schedules that allow each parent to spend time with them, as the complete division of their household can be traumatizing or limiting to their developing personalities. If your ex-spouse is failing to meet the parental visitation agreement outlined in your divorce decree, it is time to think about enforcing it for your own good and that of your children.

Behaviors that likely constitute a violation of a visitation agreement:

  • Visiting any day not included in the visitation agreement.
  • Intentionally showing up too early or leaving too late from a visitation.
  • Coercing the child to come visit without the custodial parent present.
  • Not participating in scheduled visitation without good reasons given.

The Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC in Houston can assist you with visitation enforcement cases. Our Texas family lawyers understand the importance of visitation schedules and the sense of togetherness after a divorce they help create. Using our extensive combined legal experience, effective methods of communication, and client-focused approach to casework, we are capable of finding the conclusion that works best for everyone.

We offer complimentary case evaluations. Call (281) 810-9760 to schedule yours.

How to Enforce Visitation Schedules in Texas

When your ex-spouse is making your life difficult by ignoring or changing visitation schedules, enforcement might be your only option. Some courts will tell you to first talk to your ex-spouse about the situation, but that could be something that makes you unduly uncomfortable. Your ex-spouse may also simply refuse to cooperate out of post-divorce spite. To avoid unnecessary delays and hardships, we suggest you start out by talking with our Houston attorneys about your options and how divorce decree enforcement works.

Visitation enforcement narrows your legal options due to the fact that your ex-spouse is not withholding money from you. The most likely possibility is you file a contempt of court motion, which notifies the court that your ex-spouse is ignoring a court order intentionally. As being found in contempt of court is technically a crime, the violator could be penalized with fines and jail time. Effectively, the motion is a legal threat that tells the violating parent to start following the visitation schedule immediately, or face serious legal consequences.

Legal Advocates Both In & Out of Court – Call (281) 810-9760

Talk to our family lawyers in Houston about your visitation enforcement case today. We can discuss how to get your ex-spouse to follow the rules of the divorce decree, whether we need to mediate with them or go directly to court for a motion of contempt.

Contact our law firm at your first opportunity to begin your case with a free initial consultation.

    They truly have my best interest at heart.

    “I am so pleased I hired this firm. Everyone I have dealt with, Attorney Bell, Kiara S., and Sherea S. have been extremely professional and courteous. They always keep me updated with my case and ...”

    - Telicia.

Contact Us

The First Step is Starting the Conversation
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.