Houston Paternity Lawyer
Paternity Actions in Texas
If you suspect that you are the father of a child, you have the right to establish paternity. Sometimes, the child's mother may agree that you are the father, and you can sign an affidavit evidencing that you are the child's rightful parent.
If the mother refuses to admit that you are the father, you can evidence this through DNA testing. If you are capable of establishing paternity of a child, this can help you secure certain visitation and child support rights. This often works in the best interest of the mother as well, as you may need to pay child support to care for the child.
Why is establishing paternity important?
Proving that you are the father can help you:
- Petition for visitation rights
- Request custody arrangement modifications
- Contest the adoption of the child by another family
- Allow you to include the child in your will or give the child automatic inheritance rights
- Provide child support
- I am not the biological father but I want to be - Paternity by Estoppel?
- Fathers' Rights: Children Born Out of Wedlock in Texas?
- Challenging a paternity finding in Texas
Why You Need a Houston Family Lawyer
Paternity actions can be complicated, and they are a legal, court-mandated process. This means that it can be extremely helpful to have an attorney to guide you through the process. You may need to petition for visitation or custody in court, and a skilled Houston family lawyer will be able to assist you with these arguments.
If you are interested in learning more about how divorce lawyer can help, don't hesitate to contact the firm right away for more information. The Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC is a committed firm that is focused on helping you pursue family matters.
Contact the firm right away to get more information about how we can help you.