How important is it for me to hire a lawyer for my divorce?

It is not required under the Texas Family Code for you to hire a lawyer in your divorce case. However, if you want advice, perspective and guidance then hiring a lawyer to represent you would be ideal. Several the current clients for the Law Office of Bryan Fagan began their divorce case representing themselves- only to find out that the process is more difficult than they had anticipated. Hiring one of our experienced family law attorneys before your case is filed can save you time and money.

How does hiring an attorney with the Law Office of Bryan Fagan potentially stand to save me money?

Mistakes cost money in the world of family law. If you file an incorrect document, fail to file something necessary or make any other type of procedural mistakes then this can end up costing you money due to your having to go back and make corrections. By hiring a family law attorney, you will have someone on your side who knows all the processes involved in your case. By hiring an experienced lawyer, you will have someone on your side who can create solutions. By hiring a lawyer with the Law Office of Bryan Fagan you will have both an experienced attorney and one who specializes in family law.

Will visitation with my children be a problem if I live in Galveston County and they reside in Harris County?

Without a doubt, one of the most difficult parts of visitation for Southeast Texas families is simply working out the logistics involved. If you are getting divorced in Galveston County but your spouse plans on moving to Harris County with the children, then this will create a situation where some degree of travel is involved to facilitate periods of possession and access. You and your spouse should not lose focus of the logistical details and make sure that your parenting plan considers those as much as possible. A clear and well thought out schedule for visitation can help you and your family make the most of your periods of possession.

Who will get our beach house in the divorce?

Issues regarding property division and Texas divorce are determined based upon whether the property in question community is or separate in nature. Separate property would be any property owned by you or your spouse prior to your marriage as well as property acquired during the marriage by inheritance or gift. Community property is property acquired during your marriage. Only Community property may be divided in a Texas divorce. You would need to look to the circumstances of your case to determine whether your beach house is subject to division in a divorce.

Can I be reimbursed for community income which was used to improve my wife separate property?

In many cases, yes, if community funds were utilized to improve separate property of either you or your spouse then the community should be reimbursed in the divorce for having done so. However, to position yourself well to recoup as much money as possible it is recommended that you work with an experienced family law attorney as well as financial professionals to be able to track and trace community funds that had utilized him to present them to your spouse, mediator or judge in a clear and concise manner.

Our e-books

Which E-Book would you like to receive?

Our blog

Stay updated with timely & relevant news.

Receive our newsletter

Sign up to receive your monthly copy.

Contact Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC Today!

At the Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC, the firm wants to get to know your case before they commit to work with you. They offer all potential clients a no-obligation, free consultation where you can discuss your case under the client-attorney privilege. This means that everything you say will be kept private and the firm will respectfully advise you at no charge. You can learn more about Texas divorce law and get a good idea of how you want to proceed with your case.

Office Hours

Mon-Fri: 8 AM – 6 PM Saturday: By Appointment Only

"(Required)" indicates required fields