Book an appointment using SetMore

Adult Name Change in Texas

Our Houston Family Law Attorney is Ready to Help

Whether you want to change your name after getting a divorce or because you feel your current name doesn’t suit you anymore, the process can be complex at times. Being thorough is of utmost importance when getting a name change.

At the Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC, we can guide you through the process of changing your name in Texas. Our Houston family law attorney has a thorough understanding of state law to help you obtain the results you desire.

Schedule a free consultation

Texas Legal Name Change Process

Beginning with your birth certificate, your legal name is documented on your driver’s license, Social Security card, job and school applications, medical records, and just about anything considered official. There is a legal process for changing your name.

The following are the legal processes for getting your adult name changed in Texas:

  • Marriage – When you get married, the state allows individuals to change their name. When filling out the application for a marriage certificate, a person can simultaneously request a name change by taking the new name and listing the previous name.
  • Divorce – An individual is allowed to change their name during the Texas divorce process by requesting it on the divorce decree. As soon as the name changes, a person can go to the county clerk’s office and apply for a change of name certificate.
  • For other reasons – Without getting married or divorce, a person can change his/her by going to court and petitioning for a name change. In order to legally change a name, relevant information is required to obtain an order which grants a name change request. Unless the court determines a reason that the name change is not in the public interest, and adult may change his/her name for any reason.

However, a name change will not be granted if the intention is fraudulent, to interfere with the rights of others, and if it sounds like a racial slur.

Get the Process Started Today!

If you wish to change your name, our Houston family law attorney can be of assistance. We know what documents and information you need to successfully get your name changed.

For more information changing your name in Texas, contact us today.

    They truly have my best interest at heart.

    “I am so pleased I hired this firm. Everyone I have dealt with, Attorney Bell, Kiara S., and Sherea S. have been extremely professional and courteous. They always keep me updated with my case and ...”

    - Telicia.

Contact Us

The First Step is Starting the Conversation
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.