Book an appointment using SetMore

Houston Military Jurisdiction Lawyers

Compassionate & Diligent Legal Help with Military Family Law Issues

Obtaining a divorce or settling a child custody, child support, distribution of marital property and debt, or alimony issue all must go through state courts. Going through a Texas court to settle these matters is a straightforward issue for Texans who are civilians. These individuals have family law issues addressed by their local state courts that handle such civil cases. These courts have jurisdiction over the legal affairs of their local residents. For military servicemembers, however, the issue is not so straightforward. The state court that will decide the matter will have to have jurisdiction over it through the establishment of some criterion of residence or consent by the servicemember.

If you are facing a family law matter and need legal help in establishing jurisdiction or guidance with some other aspect of your case, you can rely on the Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC. Our legal team is dedicated to providing you with the outstanding legal service you deserve. We have a strong commitment to help the individuals and families facing the daily stresses of military service and can apply our years of legal knowledge and experience to your case.

Schedule a Free Consultation

Need legal help with a jurisdictional matter concerning your military family law case? Reach out to the Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC at (281) 810-9760 or via our online request form. Your initial consultation is free.

Jurisdiction & the Military in Family Law

State courts must have jurisdiction when ruling over such civil issues for military members as:

Without jurisdiction, state courts do not have authority to make decisions on the issues involved in family law cases. The easiest answer to the jurisdiction of a military member’s family law case is to go through the state court where the servicemember or spouse resides. This can get complicated if the servicemember is stationed away from his or her residence, such as in another state or out of the country. In those cases, if the servicemember agrees to the court action, jurisdiction can then be arranged through the servicemember signing a waiver and acceptance of being process-served in his or her current location.

The matter of jurisdiction, however, can be complex, depending upon the issue at hand and the circumstances involved. For example, in child custody cases, jurisdiction is generally with the state court where the child resides (as opposed to the parent) and where the child has been physically present for the previous six months. Various laws and other considerations may apply to the jurisdictional issue of other family law issues; these will require the legal knowledge of an attorney who understands how such military family law cases are handled.

Talk to a Houston Military Jurisdiction Attorney about Your Unique Circumstances

To get thorough guidance on the matter of jurisdiction, we urge you to discuss your family law case with one of our capable attorneys. We bring personalized attention, respect, and caring support to every client as well as tailored approaches to fit your unique situation, goals, and needs.

Schedule your complimentary consultation with an attorney at (281) 810-9760 today.

    They truly have my best interest at heart.

    “I am so pleased I hired this firm. Everyone I have dealt with, Attorney Bell, Kiara S., and Sherea S. have been extremely professional and courteous. They always keep me updated with my case and ...”

    - Telicia.

Contact Us

The First Step is Starting the Conversation
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.