Book an appointment using SetMore

Teens with Children, Child Custody and Child Support in Texas

What rights do Minors with children have in regards to child support?

It is no longer uncommon in Texas for a minor to be the parent of a child. Minors in Texas are not viewed as adults when it comes to civil issues. Even though a minor has a child of their own, they are not viewed as adults under Texas law.

For this reason, they will need an adult representative to act on their behalf. This representative is called a Next Friend. The job of the Next Friend is to represent the minor parent in all legal matters, including establishing and collecting or payment of child support.

What is the next friend?

Often times, the Next Friend is one of the parents of the minor parent. Parents have the right to represent their child in legal actions and make other substantial legal significance decisions concerning their child. Tex. Fam. Code §151.001(a)(7). However, it can be any adult or legal guardian that the court approves. The court can also appoint a guardian ad litem or an attorney ad litem to represent a minor parent if a suitable next friend is not available. A next friend, guardian, or attorney is responsible for making sure that the minor parent understands the legal decisions that are being on their behalf made during a child support court process.

A Teen Parent can be held responsible for caring for a child.

Minor parents are subject to the same financial responsibilities as adults. Even though they are a minor parent, they will still be responsible for the payment of child support.

If the child of the minor parent is being raised in a foster home or by a relative or grandparent, both minor parents will be required to pay child support.

Book an appointment with Law Office of Bryan Fagan using SetMore


undefined If you want to know more about what you can do, CLICK the button below to get your FREE E-book: “Child Custody E-Book”

Other Articles you may be interested in:

  1. 12 Texas Custody & Conservatorship Battle Tips
  2. Child Custody Basics in Texas
  3. Do I Have to Pay Child Support if I Have Joint Custody of My Child in Texas?
  4. Child Custody Basics in Texas
  5. Are Dads at a Disadvantage when trying to win 50/50 custody in a Texas Divorce?
  6. Sole Managing Conservator in a Child Custody Case in Texas?
  7. Help!! My Ex-Spouse Kidnapped my Child
  8. How Much Will My Texas Child Custody Case Cost?
  9. When Can a Minor Child Weigh in on Custody Decisions in Texas?
  10. Child Custody Geographic Restrictions in Texas

Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC | Houston, Texas Child Custody Lawyers

The Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC, routinely handles matters that affect children and families. If you have questions regarding child custody, it's important to speak with one of our Houston, TX child custody lawyers right away to protect your rights.

Our child custody lawyers in Houston, TX, are skilled at listening to your goals during this trying process and developing a strategy to meet those goals. Contact Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC by calling (281) 810-9760 or submit your contact information in our online form. The Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC handles child custody cases in Houston, Texas, Cypress, Klein, Humble, Kingwood, Tomball, The Woodlands, Houston, the FM 1960 area, or surrounding areas, including Harris County, Montgomery County, Liberty County, Chambers County, Galveston County, Brazoria County, Fort Bend County, and Waller County.

Sign Up Here to Download Our eBook!

Fill out the form below 
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.