Book an appointment using SetMore

If you want to win sole custody of your child, read this blog post first

Simply put, there is a presumption in Texas family law that it is in your child's best interest to have a relationship and continued contact with both of their parents. To further this state's goal, family court judges will name you and your ex-spouse as "joint conservators" of your child more often than not. Joint conservatorship refers to a situation when you and your ex-spouse share rights, duties, and time in a somewhat similar fashion about your child. While you or your ex-spouse will have the ability to determine the primary residence, receive child support, and thereby have more possession of your child, the other rights and duties are even in many situations.

However, the presumption is in place at the beginning of every child custody case or divorce in Texas that parents should be named as joint managing conservators. In reality, this arrangement does not always work best for families, and it is sometimes necessary to have one parent be named the sole managing conservator of a child.

Rebutting the presumption in favor of naming parents as joint managing conservators

You will need to present ample evidence that naming you and your ex-spouse or other parents as joint managing conservators of your child. This much we know. I will list the factors your Court is likely to look at to determine your child's best interests.

The most logical way to do this would be to prove past domestic and family violence incidents. Endangering your child's physical and emotional welfare will likely mean that the other parent will be named a possessory conservator with possibly supervised visitation. The reason for this is that a court is prohibited from calling a person with a history of domestic violence as a joint managing conservator of your child. The evidence must not be merely allegations but credible evidence.

As a sole managing conservator, you would have special rights and duties when making decisions related to education, medical, and psychiatric issues compared to your ex-spouse. Besides, you would likely be in physical possession of your child more often than you would under a joint managing conservatorship.

How will a court evaluate your petition to be named as the sole managing conservator?

First of all, you need to petition (ask) the Court in your Original Petition for Divorce or Original Petition in Suit Affecting the Parent-Child Relationship (SAPCR) to be named as the sole managing conservator of your child. Without doing so, you cannot just magically appear in a trial and ask for it then. Go ahead and make sure you ask for this in your Original Petition filed with the Court. If you have already filed and have not pleaded for sole managing conservatorship, I recommend that you file an amended petition to meet this requirement.

A court will view your ability to care for your child as primary importance. This isn't just a roof over their head and food in their bellies, either. This means that you will be judged based on your track record and the likelihood of providing for your child's physical and emotional well bell. Have you ever presented a threat to your child regarding their physical or emotional well-being? If you are not a stabilizing force in your child's life, it is doubtful that you would be named as the sole managing conservator of your child.

Other factors include your ability and willingness to co-parent with your child's other parent after the divorce or child custody case concludes, as well as what your parenting skills are. If you have spent most of your child's life at work, this is not a bad thing or a mark against your "parenting record." Nobody would begrudge you for supporting your family. However, being away from the house would not help you develop and maintain the parenting skills that are helpful when asking to be named as the sole managing conservator of your child.

Family Relationships are essential in a divorce or child custody case.

As an extension of a child's parents, your and your opposing party's families are also important to consider if you will be able to be named as the sole managing conservator of your child. How close you live to your child's extended family will play a significant role. If you have moved a few hundred miles from your child and now ask to be named as a sole managing conservator, you will have an uphill battle to win that designation. Another critical factor that a court will consider is whether or not you or your child's other parent will encourage a strong relationship between your child and both of their parents. If it has been shown that you will belittle and take steps to harm your child's relationship with the other parent, then you will likewise struggle to be named as the sole managing conservator of your child.

Abuse and neglect as factors when determining conservatorship

Suppose either you or your child's other parent has a history of abusing or neglecting either your child or one another. In that case, that too will bar the offender from being named as the sole managing conservator of your child. This is especially true if these acts occurred either during the present or in the immediate period covering two years before this case. Family violence is a considerable risk for a child in situations like this. If we consider your child's well-being, it isn't easy to conceive of a situation where a person with that sort of history could be named the sole managing conservator of the child.

With everything said, what are your chances of being named the sole managing conservator of your child?

The burden to overcome the presumption that it is in your child's best interest for you and the other parent to be named joint managing conservators is excellent. The vast majority of the time, parents are called joint managing conservators. When considering all of the factors mentioned above, the possible history of family/domestic violence, and the child's best interests, there is not a lot of opportunities to be successful in a petition for sole managing conservatorship in most cases.

However, if you are in a position where the other parent in your child's life has not been a part of their life or has been violent with you or your child, you stand a solid chance to be named as a sole managing conservator. Even if you are not successful in being named as a sole managing conservator, you can present a case to be awarded a disproportionate share of your child's possession if the circumstances allow for that to occur. To let yourself do so, it is essential that you have experienced and knowledgeable counsel at your side.

Questions about winning sole managing conservatorship? Contact the Law Office of Bryan Fagan

To learn more about our office and ask one of our licensed family law attorneys any question you may have regarding sole managing conservatorship; please contact our office today. Our attorneys represent clients across southeast Texas and would be honored to do the same for you and your family. A consultation with our office is free of charge and can provide you with the answers you need to decide whether or not to begin a family law case.

Book an appointment with Law Office of Bryan Fagan using SetMore


undefined If you want to know more about what you can do, CLICK the button below to get your FREE E-book: "Child Custody E-Book."

Other Articles you may be interested in:

  1. 12 Texas Custody & Conservatorship Battle Tips
  2. Child Custody Basics in Texas
  3. Do I Have to Pay Child Support if I Have Joint Custody of My Child in Texas?
  4. Child Custody Basics in Texas
  5. Are Dads at a Disadvantage when trying to win 50/50 custody in a Texas Divorce?
  6. Sole Managing Conservator in a Child Custody Case in Texas?
  7. Help!! My Ex-Spouse Kidnapped my Child
  8. How Much Will My Texas Child Custody Case Cost?
  9. When Can a Minor Child Weigh in on Custody Decisions in Texas?"
  10. Child Custody Geographic Restrictions in Texas

Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC | Houston, Texas Child Custody Lawyers

The Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC, routinely handles matters that affect children and families. If you have questions regarding child custody, it's essential to speak with one of our Houston, TX, child custody lawyers right away to protect your rights.

Our child custody lawyers in Houston, TX, are skilled at listening to your goals during this trying process and developing a strategy to meet those goals. Contact the Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC by calling (281) 810-9760 or submit your contact information in our online form. The Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC, handles child custody cases in Houston, Texas, Cypress, Klein, Humble, Kingwood, Tomball, The Woodlands, Houston, the FM 1960 area, or surrounding areas, including Harris County, Montgomery County, Liberty County, Chambers County, Galveston County, Brazoria County, Fort Bend County, and Waller County.

Sign Up Here to Download Our eBook!

Fill out the form below 
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.