Ensuring Financial Security: Child Support Enforcement in Texas

Texas is strict with child support enforcement. Parents must financially support their children until they turn 18 or finish high school. If the child has a disability, this obligation continues into adulthood.

Houston Child Support Enforcement Attorneys

If you have questions regarding the enforcement of your child support agreement in Houston or the surrounding areas of Harris, Montgomery, Waller, Fort Bend, Grimes, and Washington Counties, call one of our family law attorneys in Houston to schedule a free consultation to discuss the details of your case. Our attorneys are always happy to answer your questions, and consultation costs nothing.

Your Options Regarding Child Support Enforcement

Texas law provides a variety of solutions for when a parent refuses to comply with the court’s child support order. These options include:

  1. Withholding of Earnings: The court may order that up to 50% of the parent’s take-home pay be withheld
  2. Contempt: If found to be in contempt, the noncompliant parent could face a $500 fine, up to 6 months in prison, or both. This option is usually not available in your support order from a state other than Texas.
  3. Suspension of State Licenses: The court could order that the parent’s driver, professional, and hunting and fishing licenses be suspended
  4. Withholding State Contracts, Grants, and Loans
  5. Monetary Damages
  6. Liens on Property

It is important to note that child support is completely separate from visitation rights. You cannot refuse to comply with a visitation schedule simply because your ex-spouse is late on their child support payments, and your ex-spouse may not refuse to pay child support simply because you have not complied with the visitation schedule.

Taking matters into your hands can only complicate matters and make things more difficult, so always consult with an attorney before you take action regarding your divorce agreements.

Modifying a Child Support Order

Sometimes a parent finds that he or she can no longer feasibly comply with the court’s child support order. This is usually because their circumstances have changed dramatically. Texas law provides a way to have the support order modified legally. Simply withholding child support is never an effective or legal option.

If you feel you can no longer afford your child support payments, or your payments are unreasonable, you should talk to our attorneys about filing a Motion to Modify with the court.

Non-Compliance and an Out of State Ex

If the other parent is no longer living in Texas and is delinquent on their child support payments, you have options. You may be able to have their out-of-state employer withhold income for you, or you may be able to file your Texas Child Support Order with the other state. Filing your Order with the other state will help you get all of the remedies available to you in Texas.

You should discuss the specifics of your situation with your attorney, including whether the other parent is living out of state.

  1. What do I do if I have overpaid child support in Texas?
  2. Child Custody Basics in Texas
  3. Child Support and College Tuition in Texas
  4. Texas Child Support Appeals
  5. In Texas are Child Support and Visitation Connected?
  6. Why Ignoring Child Support Obligations is a Bad Idea in Texas
  7. Texas Child Support – Trust and Annuities
  8. Special Needs Children in Texas Child Support Cases
  9. How to get above guideline child support.
  10. The benefits of hiring an attorney to represent you in a child support case
  11. Child Support Payments in Texas: How to Make them and Why


Share this article



Contact Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC Today!

At the Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC, the firm wants to get to know your case before they commit to work with you. They offer all potential clients a no-obligation, free consultation where you can discuss your case under the client-attorney privilege. This means that everything you say will be kept private and the firm will respectfully advise you at no charge. You can learn more about Texas divorce law and get a good idea of how you want to proceed with your case.

Plan Your Visit

Office Hours

Mon-Fri: 8 AM – 6 PM Saturday: By Appointment Only

"(Required)" indicates required fields