Book an appointment using SetMore

Texas Child Support – Trust and Annuities

In some cases, the parent who is ordered to make child support payments may be concerned that the other parent will not spend all of the money on the children. A trust or annuity may be a good option for those parents. The court may order that a portion of the child support payments will be made into a trust or annuity and will order this kind of arrangement if they feel it is in the best interest of the child.

At the Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC., we're dedicated to helping our clients make the right decision when it comes to supporting their family and working with the courts to promote the best interests of our clients and their children.

Houston Child Support Trust Attorneys

If you're located in the greater Houston area, including the counties of Harris, Waller, Fort Bend, Grimes, Washington, and Montgomery, and have a question concerning the use of trusts and annuities as they relate to your child support case, contact the attorneys at The Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC. today to schedule a free consultation and discuss the details of your case. Meeting with an experienced family law attorney in Texas can help you through the process of sorting all of the issues that come along with child support considerations.

Trusts and Annuities – What is the Difference?

There are many types of trusts and annuities. Our Family Lawyers can explain the different options to you.

Generally, an annuity is a type of fund that pays out on a fixed schedule over time. This kind of arrangement guarantees a certain amount of income over time.

A trust is a fund which is also paid out over time. The court will appoint a trustee, who will make the payments as necessary. Depending on the type of trust, the trustee may only make payments at certain times, or may be authorized to make payments as necessary for the health, education, maintenance and support of the beneficiary.

If the Parent has a Trust Fund

In some cases, a parent might already be the beneficiary of a trust fund, which pays them income over time. In those cases, the court can authorize the trustee of that fund to make payments directly to the parent/beneficiary’s children, instead of to the parent.

This kind of arrangement can be convenient for a parent who is already the beneficiary of a trust fund, as the trust is making their payments for them.

Trust Funds and Hiding Your Assets

In Texas, a parent cannot shield his or her assets from a child support order by placing them into a trust fund. Whether your money is in a trust fund or not, you will still be responsible for your child support payments.

Similarly, filing for bankruptcy will not limit or discharge your responsibility to pay child support.

If you have questions regarding trust funds and annuities, or whether these options might be right for you, you should speak with one of our experienced Houston child support attorneys today.

Other Articles you may be interested in:

  1. What do I do if I have overpaid child support in Texas?
  2. Child Custody Basics in Texas
  3. Child Support and College Tuition in Texas
  4. Texas Child Support Appeals
  5. In Texas are Child Support and Visitation Connected?
  6. Why Ignoring Child Support Obligations is a Bad Idea in Texas
  7. Special Needs Children in Texas Child Support Cases
  8. How to get above guideline child support.

Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC | Texas Child Support Attorney

Knowing whether putting money in a trust or annuity is the right move isn't always as clear as one would expect. Contact a child support attorney at The Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC. today to schedule a free consultation and discuss the details of your child support case in Houston and the surrounding areas.

The Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC routinely handles matters that affect children and families. If you have questions regarding divorce, it's important to speak with one of our Spring Divorce Lawyers right away to protect your rights. Our divorce lawyers in Spring TX are skilled at listening to your goals during this trying process and developing a strategy to meet those goals. Contact Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC by calling (281) 810-9760 or submit your contact information in our online form. The Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC handles Divorce cases in Spring, Texas, Cypress, Klein, Humble, Kingwood, Tomball, The Woodlands, the FM 1960 area, or surrounding areas, including Harris County, Montgomery County, Liberty County, Chambers, Galveston, Brazoria, Fort Bend County and Waller County.

Sign Up Here to Download Our eBook!

Fill out the form below 
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.