If Domestic Violence Is Occurring in Your Home Can Your Children Be Removed by CPS?

If Domestic Violence Is Occurring in Your Home Can Your Children Be Removed by Child Protective Services?

When facing the harsh reality of domestic violence at home, concerns for both personal safety and the well-being of children are paramount. A common question arises: Can Child Protective Services (CPS) intervene and remove children from such situations? This article explores the complex relationship between domestic violence and child welfare laws, shedding light on when authorities may step in to protect minors.

Domestic Violence: Can You Call CPS for Verbal Abuse?

When considering the potential safety risks that could result in your child being removed from your home, domestic violence ranks very high on the list. It is looked upon as being so high a risk and a potential danger to your child’s well-being that your being the victim of domestic violence can be viewed as neglect by CPS.

If you are the parent who initiates the domestic violence, you are an abuser of the child’s other parent. You have possibly caused mental harm to your children in the form of emotional stress and anxiety. It is not difficult to imagine a situation where your child could be injured in the struggle between you and the child’s other parent. Whether you are the abuser or the victim, it is up to you to protect your child from a situation like this. There are programs available to you to help keep your child safe from domestic violence, and you can get the information on these resources from your CPS caseworker.

Suppose you are the victim of domestic violence and take no steps to prevent future harm from occurring or outright leaving the partner abusing you. In that case, you run the risk of having your parental rights terminated. CPS and the court may take it as an indication that you place the relationship