Book an appointment using SetMore

Can my ex-wife claim my pension after divorce?

The pension you earned while working for the government or other employer technically counts as property and is eligible to be divided in a Texas divorce. When we think about property, we consider real estate and personal possessions as being more or less what property refers to. However, money held in bank accounts, retirement assets, and other financial assets will count towards the property division in your divorce. It is essential to understand what claims your spouse can make on your pension as your case moves forward.

If your divorce makes it to a judge, they will have the option to divide the pension plan according to the "just and right" standard. This means that the judge has a lot of personal discretion about how to divide up the pension. The specific factors and circumstances of your case will play a part in that discussion. Depending on the size of your community estate as well as the sizes of both your and your spouse's separate estates, the pension plan could be divided up in any number of ways.

Since Texas is a community property state, any contributions to your pension plan made during the marriage are considered community property. As long as you work for your employer for a long enough time, you would be able to receive a monthly payout from your pension when you retire. The contributions you made over your time working for that employer will return to you if you do not work long enough to become vested. The gifts that your employer makes to your pension would revert to the employer.

Pension plans are known as defined benefit plans in the retirement/savings world. This sort of plan allows you to receive a monthly income as determined by the contributions made into the plan throughout your working life. On the other hand, a defined contribution plan is what a 401(k) or Individual Retirement Account (IRA) is classified as. These types of accounts allow you to withdraw amounts of money penalty-free after you reach age 59.5. You are not bound by a specific withdrawal amount each month, but you need to know how much is in the account to avoid overdrawing, leaving yourself with nothing left.

What happens if you are not retired at the time of your divorce?

If you have not yet retired at the time of your divorce, your final decree of divorce must specify which portion of your pension plan (if any) your spouse will take with her after the divorce concludes. The value of the pension will be determined at the date of your divorce and not what the actual value of the plan is. Therefore, your spouse will not be able to take advantage of the total value of their community property interest.

After the divorce is over, your spouse will not have the ability to come back and try to get more of your pension plan for herself. All contributions and the value of the goal after your divorce has concluded will be a part of your separate estate, and your spouse would have no ability to claim that value as her own.

What happens in the actual division of your community estate?

Either you and your spouse or a judge must first determine what property belongs in the community estate and outside of the community estate. Once this is established, then the division process occurs. Your pension will not be a topic for the division until the end of your divorce. You will have other, more pressing issues to attend to at the beginning and middle stages of your divorce. Examples of these more pressing issues include child support, child custody, determining who will be paying what bills during the divorce, etc.

Another factor to consider is that the amount of community property awarded to your spouse other than your pension will impact how the allowance is divided. For example, suppose your spouse is awarded the lion's share of your community estate and has a substantial amount of separate property. In that case, it is unlikely that your pension will be divided in such a way that your spouse ends up getting a majority of its value. Remember that community property is typically divided equally between spouses, however, so your situation may not work out precisely in this way. If "fairness" dictates that your spouse walk away with a hefty portion of your pension plan, then that may be what ends occurring.

What factors will determine how your pension plan is divided?

Specifically, the court will look at some factors in your divorce when dividing up your community estate in general (which will include all or most of your pension). The age of the spouse will be considered. If your spouse is nearing retirement age, the judge would be more likely to divide the pension plan in such a way to make sure that your spouse is taken care of in their golden years. This is especially true if your spouse has not worked and has no retirement savings from her employment history.

Next, the judge will look at your educational level versus that of your spouse. Many times one spouse will have a far greater educational background than their spouse. If you have earned your pension by working for the government, you may possess at least one advanced degree. Compare this to your spouse, who chose to stay home and care for your children while you were working and earning those degrees. A community property state such as Texas considers this sort of circumstance.

Earning the capacity of you and your spouse will also be considered. There is an apparent connection between educational level and earning capacity. Again, if your spouse has a high school education while you have a few advanced degrees, you are likely in a well-established career or are capable of finding employment with relative ease. If your spouse would not say the same, then your pension may be divided up, with her receiving a disproportionately high share of the plan.

The last factor I wanted to bring to your attention is the fault in the breakup of the marriage. For instance, if you did something that directly led to the divorce

What is a Qualified Domestic Relations Order?

Once the judge figures out how much of your spouse's pension should receive in the divorce, you and your attorney will need to draft a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO). A QDRO will authorize the plan administration for your pension plan to be able to put into effect the division ordered by the judge as contained in your final decree of divorce. Without a QDRO, the wheels cannot be put into motion to get your spouse the money she is entitled to.

Your attorney should contact the plan administrator for your pension early in your divorce to figure out what language needs to be inserted into the QDRO to be accepted by the plan. You can request this information from your attorney and provide it to him or get him the contact information for your plan administrator. If your lawyer drafts the QDRO without consulting with the plan administrator, it is unlikely that the QDRO will be accepted. This will put you into a position where your divorce will be finalized, but the QDRO is still outstanding. Imagine graduating from high school but being told that you have a final exam yet to take. This is essentially the same thing.

The frequency with which payments must come out of the QDRO to pay your spouse, how long the charges are applicable, and contact information for both you and your ex-spouse must also be included in the QDRO. This is a detailed document and an important one at that. If for no other reason, I would recommend hiring a lawyer to draft the QDRO and ensure it is taken care of correctly. Mistakes could delay your divorce or cause you and your spouse a long and contentious post-divorce period.

Once you have gotten the plan administrator for your pension plan to accept the QDRO, your spouse will receive payments as per the QDRO. The next logical question to ask is when your spouse will start taking out the benefits. It all depends on the type of pension that you have. In some pension plans, your spouse will be allowed to receive lump-sum payments as early as the time that the QDRO is approved. If you have a 401(k) or IRA, it is more likely that your spouse will receive monthly payments from the retirement plan. In other cases, your spouse will not get any fees until you reach retirement age or retire from your employer.

What about military pensions?

Members of the military contribute through years of service to their pension plan instead of making monetary contributions as a civilian would. Twenty years of active duty service needs to be reached for a military member to receive military retirement benefits. Once you retire after at least twenty years of service, you would receive a monthly amount of money out of your pension. Your total years served, your pay rate at the time of your retirement, and cost of living adjustments will all determine how much your assistance is worth every month.

If you or your spouse are in the military, then the pension(s) in question can be divided into a Texas divorce. A federal law known as the Uniformed Services Former Spouses Protection Act will determine how much of your military pension would go to your spouse in the divorce. The critical difference is that, at most, 50% of your allowance may be awarded to your spouse in a divorce. Dividing up a military retirement is based as much on math as on anything else.

Dividing up military pensions can include providing a specific dollar amount to your spouse, a percentage of the total pension value, or a fraction of the total amount. The fraction method uses a formula where the number of years you have served in the military during which you were also married will be divided by the total number of years you did in the military when you are projected to retire. The retired pay from your pension may be paid to your ex-spouse directly.

The military pension division works differently than the civilian pension division. If you are concerned with protecting your military pension, you need to have a plan at the outset of your divorce. If you wait until final mediation to develop a plan, you will find that your spouse will already have a plan in place and be at a disadvantage.

Questions about dividing a pension in your divorce? Contact the Law Office of Bryan Fagan

Thank you for choosing to spend part of your day with us today. If you have any questions about the content contained in today's blog post, please do not hesitate to contact the Law Office of Bryan Fagan. Our licensed family law attorneys offer free-of-charge consultations six days a week. We can answer your questions and address your issues directly in a comfortable, pressure-free environment.

Book an appointment with Law Office of Bryan Fagan using SetMore


Adobe Stock 62844981[2]If you want to know more about what you can do, CLICK the button below to get your FREE E-book: 16 Steps to Help You Plan & Prepare for Your Texas Divorce

Other Articles you may be interested in:

  1. What is and Why do I need to do Discovery in my Texas Divorce?
  2. You've filed your Divorce... now what? The "Discovery Process" and why it's important
  3. 6 things You Need to Know Before You File for Divorce in Texas
  4. I Want a Texas Divorce but My Husband Doesn't: What can I do?
  5. Am I Married? - Marital Status in Texas
  6. Can I sue my spouse's mistress in Texas?
  7. 6 Tips - On How to prepare for a Texas Divorce
  8. Roadmap of Basic Divorce Procedure in Texas
  9. 6 Mistakes that can Destroy Your Texas Divorce Case
  10. Does it Matter who Files First in a Texas Divorce?

Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC | Spring Divorce Attorneys

The Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC routinely handles matters that affect children and families. If you have questions regarding divorce, it's important to speak with one of our Spring, TX Divorce Attorneys right away to protect your rights.

Our divorce attorneys in Spring TX are skilled at listening to your goals during this trying process and developing a strategy to meet those goals. Contact the Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC by calling (281) 810-9760 or submit your contact information in our online form. The Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC handles Divorce cases in Spring, TexasCypressSpringKleinHumble, KingwoodTomballThe Woodlands, the FM 1960 area, and surrounding areas, including Harris CountyMontgomery CountyLiberty County, Chambers CountyGalveston CountyBrazoria CountyFort Bend County, and Waller County.

Sign Up Here to Download Our eBook!

Fill out the form below 
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.