What do I do if I have overpaid child support in Texas?

Two of the applicable family statutes deal with child support over-payments are sections 154.014 and 154.014 of the Texas Family Law Code.

The ability to recover overpaid child support depends on a number of different factors. If you still have a current obligation typically then the attorney general will typically apply the excess child support to your future obligations which falls under section 154.013 of the Texas Family Code.

However, if you are not in the arrears and the child support obligation has terminated, then you can file suit to recover the overpaid child support under section 154.012. To file under this section you will need to make a demand for payment. If that fails then you can file a lawsuit.

Below are the two applicable sections of the family code.


(a) If a child support agency or local child support registry receives from an obligor who is not in arrears a child support payment in an amount that exceeds the court-ordered amount, the agency or registry, to the extent possible, shall give effect to any expressed intent of the obligor for the application of the amount that exceeds the court-ordered amount.
(b) If the obligor does not express an intent for the application of the amount paid in excess of the court-ordered amount, the agency or registry shall:
(1) credit the excess amount to the obligor's future child support obligation; and
(2) promptly disburse the excess amount to the obligee.
(c) This section does not apply to an obligee who is a recipient of public assistance under Chapter 31, Human Resources Code.


(a) If an obligor is not in arrears and the obligor's child support obligation has terminated, the obligee shall return to the obligor a child support payment made by the obligor that exceeds the amount of support ordered, regardless of whether the payment was made before, on, or after the date the child support obligation terminated.
(b) An obligor may file a suit to recover a child support payment under Subsection (a). If the court finds that the obligee failed to return a child support payment under Subsection (a), the court shall order the obligee to pay to the obligor attorney's fees and all court costs in addition to the amount of support paid after the date the child support order terminated. For good cause shown, the court may waive the requirement that the obligee pay attorney's fees and costs if the court states the reasons supporting that finding.

Book an appointment with Law Office of Bryan Fagan using SetMore


If you want to know more about what you can do, CLICK the button below to get your FREE E-book: 16 Steps to Help You Plan & Prepare for Your Texas Divorce

Other Articles you may be interested in:

  1. Child Custody Basics in Texas
  2. Child Support and College Tuition in Texas
  3. Texas Child Support Appeals
  4. In Texas are Child Support and Visitation Connected?
  5. Why Ignoring Child Support Obligations is a Bad Idea in Texas
  6. Texas Child Support – Trust and Annuities
  7. Special Needs Children in Texas Child Support Cases
  8. How to get above guideline child support.

Law Office of Bryan Fagan | Spring, TX Child Support Lawyers

Our Spring, Texas Child Support Lawyers are skilled at listening to your goals during this trying process and developing a strategy to meet those goals. Contact Law Office of Bryan Fagan by calling (281) 810-9760 or submit your contact information in our online form. Law Office of Bryan Fagan handles child support cases in Spring, Texas or surrounding areas, including Harris County, Montgomery County, Washington County, Grimes County, Fort Bend County and Waller County.


No Comments Posted
  • Frequently Asked Questions

    Our blog features a wealth of knowledge pertaining to some of the most frequently asked family law questions.

    Read More
  • Sign Up For Our Free E-Course

    Click here to sign up for our free E-Course on Divorce! It has been specifically created to help people who are considering divorce and wish to learn more about the divorce process

    Sign Up Now
  • Schedule Your Free Consultation Now

    Schedule a risk-free consultation today and we can assess your case.

    Book Now
  • Meet With a Finance Specialist

    Discuss payment plan options and more with a finance specialist.

    Get Started Now

Contact Us

Law Office of Bryan Fagan
Spring Divorce Attorney
Located at: 3707 Farm to Market 1960 W.,
Suite 400,

Houston, TX 77068
View Map
Phone: (281) 810-9760
Office Hours:
Mon-Fri 8 AM – 6 PM
Saturday- By Appointment Only
© 2017 All Rights Reserved.


The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.