Book an appointment using SetMore

Houston International Divorce Lawyers

Work with a Client-Centered Results-Driven Legal Team

International divorce has become more common as increasing numbers of people relocate to other countries in the wake of a failed marriage. Divorce and family law in Texas and the U.S. can be complex on it own. Add in an international factor with a spouse now residing in another country and the entire situation can become even more complicated under two sets of law.

If you are facing the matter of an international divorce, it is highly advised that you seek the help of a trusted family law firm. At the Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC. You can work with a team that primarily focuses on divorce and family law and has done so since our inception. That means our team is deeply familiar with the laws and court procedures surrounding divorce and its issues as well as with how our local Houston courts operate. We have helped countless individuals navigate the complex area of divorce, resolving such issues as child custody and visitation, the division of marital property and debt, and more. We have the knowledge and commitment to help you through this critical time, putting your best interests first as we protect your legal and parental rights.

Need an international divorce? Contact the Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC at (281) 810-9760 or through our online request form for a free, initial consultation.

Filing for an International Divorce in Houston

If you are currently residing in Houston while your spouse is living in another country, you may be able to file for a divorce here in Texas. However, you must meet Texas residency requirements to do so.

Residency requirements include:

  • You have been a resident in the county where you will file for a minimum of 90 days and
  • You have been a resident in the state for at least six months prior to filing

In order to file for a Texas divorce, either you or your spouse must meet the above requirements. In this case, you will be the one fulfilling this obligation.

The next consideration is that of serving the divorce papers on your spouse. This is where the matter can become complicated. In a Texas divorce, where both parties reside in this country, whichever party initially files for divorce (called the petitioner) has the responsibility of serving the divorce papers on the other party (called the respondent). This paperwork must generally be served on the other party in person by private process server, sheriff, or another official person. Serving a spouse who is living in a foreign country in person can be problematic.

You may be able to solve this through various means, such as through a wavier, if you and your spouse are on amicable terms. This is a Waiver of Service Only form that your spouse must have notarized. This form declares that your spouse has relinquished his or her right to be served by a sheriff; it does not necessarily mean that her or she is in agreement with the lawsuit.

You may also have your spouse served by a foreign process server. If this proves too difficult or expensive, another option may be service by publication. You must petition the course for permission to go this route. If approved, you will post a notice in a local newspaper in the city and country where your spouse resides for a certain number of days. After this is the done, the court will consider that your spouse has been served.

Other Complications of an International Divorce

Aside from the above complication of service, other complexities of an international divorce can involve the matters of child custody and visitation, alimony, child support, the division of marital property and debt, and other issues you may need to resolve. The laws of the country where your spouse is residing may be very different from U.S. laws regarding these matters, including strict privacy laws that inhibit the discovery of property and assets. International custody of children can also become a major difficulty as well as enforcement of U.S court orders about child support or alimony across international borders.

Talk to a Houston International Divorce Attorney about Your Case

Because of the various problems associated with an international divorce, you will need the knowledge and resources of a trusted legal professional. Our firm understands all of the ramifications of a proposed international divorce and will work to ensure that yours is done competently and fairly in regard to all of the issues it involves.

Reach out to us at (281) 810-9760 to book a consultation today.

    They truly have my best interest at heart.

    “I am so pleased I hired this firm. Everyone I have dealt with, Attorney Bell, Kiara S., and Sherea S. have been extremely professional and courteous. They always keep me updated with my case and ...”

    - Telicia.

Contact Us

The First Step is Starting the Conversation
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.