Out Of State Divorce

Houston Out-of-State Divorce Attorneys

Need to Divorce an Out-of-State Spouse?

People in this U.S. move about regularly, relocating to different states for employment or educational opportunities, to be closer to family, to remarry, and for various other reasons. As a Texan, you may be wondering if and how you can divorce your spouse when he or she has moved out of the state. Dealing with an-out-of-state spouse can complicate the matter and slow down the process due to the problems that distance cause but such a proceeding can occur.

At the Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC, our dedicated legal team deals with all kinds of divorces and divorce issues every day. Throughout our time as Houston attorneys, we have met the challenges of even the most complex divorce cases, including those involving an out-of-state spouse. We attack every family law case with diligence, attention to detail, personalized service, and a dedication to helping you achieve the best possible outcome.

Contact one of our Houston out-of-state divorce lawyers at (281) 810-9760 to book a consultation about your divorce today. Or reach out online with your contact details.

How Does an Out-of-State Divorce Work?

Every state has certain requirements you must meet to obtain a divorce. In Texas, residence requirements exist that either you or your spouse must adhere to in order to pursue a divorce.

These requirements include:

  • In order to file for a Texas divorce, you as the filing spouse must have maintained your primary residence in the state for the previous six months before filing.
  • You also must have remained a resident in the county where you file for a minimum of 90 days prior to the date of your divorce filing.
  • If you are the spouse who has moved out of state, you can file for a Texas divorce against your spouse if he or she meets the above two requirements.

It generally does not matter in what state your marriage took place originally as long as you followed that state’s legal requirements so that you have a valid marriage when filing for a Texas divorce.

If you do not meet the above requirements, you can either wait out the required time and then file or you can file elsewhere in a location where you do meet the legal requirements. Other states vary in their residency requirements. For example, in Arizona the requirement is only 60 days of residency while in the state of Washington, no residency requirement has been established. You only need to be a resident there on the date you file for divorce. However, divorcing from another state may complicate such matters as child custody and visitation when your spouse remains in Texas.

Will My Texas Divorce Be Recognized Elsewhere?

Just as your marriage in another state is generally recognized throughout this country, your Texas divorce will also be recognized in other states.

Want to Discuss Your Case with an Attorney?

If you are contemplating a divorce with your spouse who has left the state, you can discuss the details with a Houston out-of-state divorce lawyer at our firm. Learn how the specific circumstances of your case relate to Texas divorce laws. At the Law Office of Bryan Fagan, PLLC, we are here to help you move forward effectively and efficiently so that you can advance into the next chapter of your life.

Call our offices at (281) 810-9760 to arrange for a case review about your divorce options today.

Family Law & Estate Planning Forms

They truly have my best interest at heart.

“I am so pleased I hired this firm. Everyone I have dealt with, Attorney Bell, Kiara S., and Sherea S. have been extremely professional and courteous. They always keep me updated with my case and …”


All Family Law Practice Areas

Contact Us

The First Step is Starting the Conversation

"(Required)" indicates required fields